How To Make Lace, Crochet And Eyelet clothes from old tablecloths and napkins. 390 DIY or SIY or MIY




Angela Lansbury wearing a shawl from a recycled square lace tablecloth. Photo by Trevor Sharot.
 

I was looking at lace clothes and eyelet dresses and blouses and scarves online. And in charity shops in the UK. 

Summer Sales and Bargains

Many customers, like me, are shopping and packing for summer holidays as the weather turns to warm from the chilly, May. The old saying went, 'ne-er cast a clout til May be out'. Clout would be old English or dialect for clothes.) 

I asked an assistant in St Luke's hospice shop, 'When are the sales?"

She told me, 'Our summer sales will be from mid-June or the end of June.' That is after many people have already bought for their summer holiday, or been away and come back.

Unwanted Old Lace Tablecloths

I decided it was time to go shopping in my own spare room and cupboards. What a mess. Time to tidy up. I had old lace tablecloths which nobody else liked or wanted. From the year two thousand and onwards I was busy clearing away items from the home of my late parents, and an uncle. I also had to clear out a neighbour's property. 

New tenants did not want anything old. They wanted space for their own items. Tenants from Afghanistan, Dubai and UAE did not treasure the old things which had sentimental value for me. People from the Middle east want everything new.

My husband also hates old things. Lace tablecloths and napkins. And anti-macassars - to protect the top cushions on sofas from hair grease. Modern sofas are low, for lying down reading your mobile and watching TV. Tables are varnished or have table mats or plastic place mats. 

Recycling Lace and Crochet Tablecloths

So what use are old lace tablecloths? I looked at the lacy oblongs among the oddments. Small lace or lace edged tablecloths and napkins. Delightful. Could they be converted into summery tops?

Converting Cloths

The simplest method was to use a large square cloth as a shawl. But what about the smaller oblongs?

Just what I needed for a summer holiday in rural Europe. Dare I cut the oddments of lace cloths and napkins to make dickeys or armholes? 

No need. I could sew together two oblongs across the top to create shoulders. It didn't matter if the front and back of my new garment did not match. I would have a reversible item. The open sides could be hidden under a cape blazer. Or a shawl. 

Add Ribbons

But the sides needed to be attached, otherwise the garment would slip sideways, especially when I pulled it by pulling on or off a jacket. The solution - first I could sew on four pieces of ribbon on the shoulders. Tie them across the top, over my shoulders. Secondly, four more matching pieces of ribbon, could be sewn on for waist ties. If necessary, add more ties under the arms and at the hem.  Or even sew on three sets of loops from under the arm downwards. Use one long ribbon each side, left and right, to thread the back and front of the garment together, criss-cross like lace up shoes or sneakers.

Eyelets

For ready-made eyelets, I can cut up old shoes. I have several pairs with disintegrating soles and heels. The fabric tops have eyelets. I have hesitated. Not because I wanted to save the shoes. Because I was afraid of blunting my scissors on the thick shoe fabric.

Second Thoughts - Restore Tablecloths

What if I don't like the result? What if I wear the garment once on holiday?

If I ever need to return the lace cloths to their original use, I have the option of removing the ribbons.

Converted Cloth

As for the small square tablecloth, I can wear it without altering it. Fold the square diagonally into a triangle and I have a lace evening shawl. No work needed. 

The colour is cream. Not a clean white. But I have muted pastel pinks which will go with cream.

DIY?

I pondered what title to use for this post. My first thought was DIY. I have used the abbreviation DIY. But that suggests painting and decorating and woodwork. Perhaps for sewing I should use SIY. Sew it yourself. Or MIY. Make it yourself.

Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A