Packing for a long weekend, 4 days, or midweek event, 5 days, outfit 414, Next, a striped purple blouse with two pockets

 I have started unpacking and re-packing.

Packing List - Deleting Items

My husband suggested that he revises his packing list for a hiking holiday every year by striking off the list any items he did not wear.

Unpacking  - Washing

I am unpacking. Washing anything which might otherwise set the stain, need to be washed and be wet when re-packing.  Unwashed items can attract moths. I have saved a laundry bag from a hotel. A plastic laundry bag can last for years.

One friend said she simply washes everything. No need to sort.

Count days

No need to over-pack. Count the number of days and nights. If you need to wear something twice, and items take two days to dry, you can wash items from the first two days on a five day holiday. That means packing only three items instead of five. 

The item you wore travelling on the first day can be worn on the way home. 

Rehearsing

The week before, I wear (and wash) every item. Then, if I don't have the matching shoes, or underwear, or socks, or a belt for a skirt or trousers, or hat, or a brooch or modesty panel for a gapping wrap dress or top or skirt, I have time to look, or sew, or change the item.

Where Is It stored?

I email myself a where is it email. 

While surveying my clothes I find items I don't want to take with me because the colours aren't sufficiently vivid to make a statement. 

Angela in Next blouse. Selfie photo. By Angela Lansbury

The Next Striped Purple Blouse With Pockets & Detachable Collar and Tab Sleeves

I found a Next blouse in purple and white stripes. I don't think I have ever worn it. I used to wear purple as a brunette. As a blonde, bright red, cobalt or royal blue and emerald or lime green and yellow suit me.

But the blouse deserves an outing. It has two button down pockets. 

Sleeves

The tab sleeves can be long or short.   Seven buttons, all hidden by a placket so that if I lose one it won't matter. 

The Collar

The collar is detachable. It is has five buttonholes and is attached by five buttons on the inside of the mandarin collar which is lined with a solid colour which matches the bias binding around the hem.

The Buttons & Placket

The placket has little horizontal stitches at intervals. I thought they were to show the hidden buttons were directly underneath. 

No. The stitching is there to hold the placket in place between the buttons. No untidy gapping. How clever.

Made in China. Cotton. Polyester. With elastane. And metalised fibre.

Plain Colour Purple Skirt

I have matched it with a dusty purple skirt  By Comfy Clothes, which no longer exist. The company used to be in Queens Park. They sold plus clothes made in Turkish occupied Cyprus. I used to buy in their end of season sales. When they closed down, I bought more.


White nail varnish to match the shirt which has white and purple stripes. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Nail Varnish

I bought the white nail varnish in Tesco Express. Morrisons did not have white nail varnish.

 I had seen young women with white nail varnish and thought it looked avant garde, odd. I preferred the vitality of red.

However, when I wore the shirt with purple sleeves against red nail varnish, and the purple skirt against red sandals, the colours looked wrong, mismatched.

I decided white was ideal. White varnish would look good against a tanned hand.

The result was better than I had hoped. The matching colour was not just sensible. It was spectacular. Successful.

The new look made me happy. I felt elegant. Co-ordinated. Fashionable.


Useful Websites

packing Lists

Next

https://www.next.co.uk/clearance

Shirt/blouse with removable collars For men from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blinders-Removable-Collar-Button-Collarless/

tab sleeves

....

Metalized thread - About three pounds sterling in June 2022

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gutermann-50m-Metallic-Thread-

blouse with double pockets

...

Detachable cuffs

tps://www.amazon.co.uk/Ixkbiced-Crochet-Ruffles-Detachable-Bracelet (under five pounds and free postage white lace ladies flared)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A