The Stupidest Straw Hat? Pretty pink, but frayed and fraying further. Outfit 482. Oops! Nicaraguan and Hawaian beachcomber hats

Angela Lansbury wearing a pink, straw, fraying, beachcomber hat. Photo selfie by Angela Lansbury. 
 

I thought I wasn't wearing my glasses. My hat straw got in the way.

 The straw was over my eyes and so my glasses focussed on the straw. I had to tilt my head to see under the straw. I thought I wasn't wearing glasses.

Those annoying straws interfered with my vision. I didn't like those prickly spokey, spikey straws on my face, near my mouth and nose and eyes. And on my shoulders. 

I took off the hat.

I looked it up online. It was a style called Beachcomber. Plenty like it. 

I hunted for fixing it. You can make them waterproof with a spray of Shellac. But nowhere were instructions for plaiting up the edges and sealing them down. It would take hours. Then clear nail varnish?

Or sew in a circle? Then cut back the protruding spikes?

I tried it on the other way round. Ah!

The hat was not stupid. I was stupid. The hat bent upwards over the forehead and hung down at the back. 

But, then it did not protect your eyes from the sun. A sunhat has two purposes, to protect the crown of your head, and to keep the sun out of your eyes, to stop you squinting, and  to keep the sun off your nose and face To protect you from cancer.

If you just want to look funny in a photo, or fetching and amusing at a poolside party, this hat does the trick.


Straw hat the right way around. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

The hat is from Nicaragua.

Nicaragua hat, hatband. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Panama hats come from Ecuador. If you want a wide brim, search for sun hat. Other useful words are straw hat, boater, Breton hat. 

Useful Websites
Nicaragua flags and flag patched from Etsy

Hawaian straw hats from Amazon



Wikipedia
Nicaragua
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hat_styles

Please share links to your favourite posts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A