Turn A Scarf Into A Hood With Just Five Minutes of Straight Line Running Stitch Sewing! Dress 562

The White Hat Cum Scarf =Hood

I first added a white beanie hat onto the matching scarf. the purpose was to wear it outdoors and keep my neck warm and ensure I did not lose the scarf which kept slipping off.

The Scarf=Hood

Then I made a hood from a piece cut off the hem of a burgundy colour mock fur plush dressing gown. The scarf kept sliding off. So I stitched it up. I made a hood section to stay on my head.

The red scarf = Hood

My red scarf kept sliding off. I wanted it to hang neatly, more level, to stay on my head, and to keep me warm by covering my head and neck. 

I sewed it up. Just a running stitch or tacking stitch. In out, in out. Much faster than oversewing. 

Reinforcing Tacking Stitch

Every now and then, I did a back stitch, so that if the thread split, broke, pulled out, at any point, the sewing would not unravel all the way along.

Fastening Thread

One way to fasten a thread is to tie a knot. Another is to tie two hanging threads together. Or thread the end of the thread under a previous stitch. You can pull it through with the threaded needle. Or use the thick eye end of the needle as a scoop to drag or pull the loose thread end under under a stitch.   

However, to fasten the thread, I did the same as you do on a sewing machine. I reversed the direction of the sewing. If your thread is getting too short, shorter than the needle, thread the needle through the fabric without the thread, in out and in out, leaving it in place in the fabric, then thread the cotton through the needle's eye. Pull the needle through. The needle pulls your hanging end through as far as it can go.

Single or Double Thread?

A single thread is not very secure. Once you have established that you have sewn far enough, not too far, you can reinforce. I go over in the opposite direction.

At one point the thread end caught so I had double thread. I separated the two threads by pulling until the trapped end came out. If you cannot be bothered to re-thread the needle, you might want to make your thread last. However, I have a self threading needle, so, at one point I decided to continue with a double thread which provides more secure stitching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A