Red, white and navy blue plaid shirt from H & M, consider how to convert a man's shirt, dress of the day 587

 

Angela Lansbury is wearing a red, white and navy blue plaid shirt. Dress  587. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

The H & M Red, White and Blue Plaid Pattern Shirt
 The shirt is labelled H & M. Made in Bangladesh. It has two spare buttons, one in each size. Seven buttons down the front placket. Two on each cuff. One smaller button fastening the slit up the wrist from the cuff.

H & M started in Sweden and is now in many countries worldwide. H & M stands for Hennes and Mauritz.

It is a man's shirt, in good condition, with long arms. I considered cutting off the cuffs to make a shorter flared sleeve. However, the geometric pattern is more rigid and suits the cuff. 
It is a casual shirt, but not a feminine style, more practical.

The cuff has a wide placket with one buttonhole, and a narrower one underneath with the button. I could use either one of them to make a tab. A shortened tab sleeve might be cooler in Singapore, especially in the very hot summer.

Colours
The red is lively. The dark navy goes with a black skirt and accessories. I could wear black or red sandals. Or sneakers (running shoes).

The Black Skirt
The black skirt is from Dorothy Perkins. It is long, but thin and lightweight, just what I need for summer or Singapore which is tropical all year.

Shorts - Why Not?
I had a nice pair of shorts which, unusually, flattered me. Even so, my husband didn't like them. He said, "I don't like shorts on any woman, and that includes my wife." So I took off the shorts and wore the black skirt.

The Belt - Lengthened
The belt had holes on both sides. The belt was not long enough. I thought a shoe lace would do. Butter than untidy cut off ribbon with a fraying end. I looked in my jar of ribbons. I found a braided handle removed from a tote bag.I threaded it through the holes on both sides and tied it together in a bow. Perfect. The see-through ends to the string or lace kept it from pulling out through the holes.

If you ever have a belt, which is too short or tight and you don't have a buckle or the buckle breaks, punch holes on both ends and pull through a shoe lace or a handle from a large paper or plastic branded tote bag which smart shops give away for you to take home your clothes. I see a lot of these in bins. I sometimes save the whole bag. If the bag is broken, I rescue the ribbons or braided handles.

H & M
I looked up H & M in Wikipedia. Wikipedia gives two opposing views of them. One is of all the good practices they introduced. That sounded lovely. Then I read the other stories which were more controversial. Arrange the events in a timeline, or take your pick.  

Useful Websites
Shirts and clothes for men and women - history and locations of H & M shops
 H & M

Washing instructions and symbols from clevercare.info

Please share links to your favourite posts.
The link to this post is

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A