Vintage Animal Print from H & M. post 515

 

 A vintage H& M outfit worn by my new friend, a fellow author in the anthology Grief And Us, edited by Carolyn Street.
Photo by Angela Lansbury.

The dress is what the owner called a top. I call it a dress because it is ankle length.

My Taboos
I must admit that twenty years ago I would never have bought an outfit featuring a wild animal. I did not like lions, tigers, snakes or snakeskin, or insects.

I preferred plain colours and fancy collars to draw attention to my face and away from my body.

Now, now that I am into taking full length photos, I look for eye-catching designs.

Shock and Drama

The dark colour of the design contrasting with the white background is the perfect complement to the wearer's dark hair.

Complement with an e in the middle means match and compliment with an I means praise. Both apply here.
The wearer of the dress bought three different tops at the same time.

Animal Prints - Santitized Wildlife
Go online and you can find many sites offering animal prints. Why are they so popular? Some are back to nature. Romantic. Like a children's toy featuring a teddy bear. After all, a picture is not the same as a wild animal kept as a pet.

Animal Prints - Contained Aggression
A suggestion of a wild, tempestuous nature. Risk taking. Lions, tigers, jaguars, big cats, leopards.

Memories
Or maybe just a memory of your holiday in the wild, the park, the zoo. The holiday close to nature. Like the Singapore Night Safari. Wild nature observed and admired from a safe distance. 

Maybe one of these. Maybe none of these. Maybe all of these. 

If you want elephants, they are popular patterns in India and in Thailand where the elephant is a national symbol. American motifs include the eagle.

Country flags feature animals. In the USA and many countries you can use the national flag anywhere you fancy, on your face, or your underwear.  Using the flag on your clothing, a tablecloth or a cushion or shoes is considered patriotic.

But one or two countries are very adamant that their country's flags are symbols of authority and must not be used except ceremonially or in specified ways. Singapore is one of the latter. 

Last words. I met this lovely lady at the book launch of Grief and Us which you can buy and preview peek at on Amazon.com books
She has inspired me to look with new enthusiasm at those animals prints at the back of my cupboards.

Useful Websites
Shein has prints of cow, tiger, cats, elephants, birds, and dragons. 

Others are edgy
H & M
You can choose patterns including crocodile, snakeskin, tortoiseshell, zebra.



Please share links to your favourite posts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A