African Style Rope Necklace In Orange, Green & Gold, to buy or make, post 547

 


Three-strand coloured necklace seen on the train. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Triple Necklace Shape
This attractive necklace attracted my attention on the train. The wearer's dress is in plain gray which forms a neutral background, The necklace could be hidden behind the dress neck. However, is shown here hanging below to dress neckline to echo the oval and enhance the curve. It is a triple necklace, so we have four ovals, one of the dress neck and three of the necklace, very satisfying.

Varied Warm And Contrasting Cool Colours
Look closely at the colours. The orange nearest the neck and face is the warm colour. Contrasted with cool green. In between is the gold which matched the watch strap, jewellery and ring and makes it suitable for understated evening wear, as well as fun daytime wear.

Asking A Stranger For Their Sources
I hesitated to ask the wearer where she got it. Then, when she gathered up the handle of her bag to get off the train, I panicked. I was going to lose my chance to ask. I would never know. I  was galvanized into action. 

I stepped forward I said to the stranger, "Excuse me, I have been admiring your necklace. Did you buy it here?"

She was not at all annoyed. On the contrary, she was quite pleased. She replied, enthusiastically, "Yes, but a long time ago. I have forgotten where I bought it. A lot of people ask me! It seems very popular."

Online Ssearches For Something Similar
So, I cannot tell you where she bought it. What you can do is look out for something similar. Or do a google picture image match. The magic words are reverse image search.

I tried that. You are invited to upload a photo. When I first did this with the photo above, I got lots of pictures of gray dresses. 

So, I cropped the picture to just the necklace. My search of three strand necklace produced beaded necklaces and pearl necklaces.

Magic Words - African Style
Then I found silk necklace. Then African thread necklace. Then polymer necklace.

A lovely one from Rwanda was sold out. At least I know the secret word searches.

I tried rope necklace. Then thread necklace. 

However, my next look showed that some pictures were marked in stock.

DIY necklaces
Finally, a fun find, a DIY website so you can make your own in colours to suit, either your favourite colour, or co-ordinating with your favourite outfit, or co-ordinating with two or three outfits.

You need from a DIY shop, utility rope (wide and green), Chinese cord (thin and pink to wind around the thicker green rope, brass compression sleeves, caps, a lobster clasp.
Plus tools including scissors, pliers and glue.

My favourite readymade necklace at under twenty dollars, saved in my shopping basket on Amazon, is this one, 

You will find more on my Pinterest page, Angela dress of the day,
Useful Websites
https://craftsbutik.com/products/necklace-layered-silk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USHOBE-Handmade-Necklaces-Multilayer-Statement/dp/B0BN58YYZ5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=11SDO2RNWZCEU&keywords=african%2Bthree%2Brope%2Bweave%2Bnecklace&qid=1684483607&sprefix=african%2Bthree%2Brope%2Bweave%2Bnecklace%2Caps%2C385&sr=8-2&th=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A