Tube skirt from Indonesia converted into a caftan, outfit 550

Angela Lansbury, wearing a caftan made from a converted tube skirt bought in Indonesia. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

See also post 521, I picked this up off my sewing table where I had left it for further sewing and maybe cutting. I previously had safety pins across the top. this time I added two new features

The Neck Slit
I simply cut a vertical slit half way along the fabric neckline for the front of the neck. The main reason is that the horizontal line rubbed uncomfortably against my neck. I could prevent this happening by adding ribbon across the middle of the top of the fabric to make the horizontal line an inch or two lower. However, making a cut was an instant, quick solution. I used pinking sheers. Besides, I thought it added interest. It made the outfit look more like a shaped dress and less like two bits of oblong fabric.

To keep the two cut pieces folded down, I could sew on two small shirt buttons, or two fancy buttons, in black, white, brown, red, blue or gold.

The Orange Colour Shoes
I considered black shoes which would be suitable for a business meeting. But I happened upon the orange shoes which matched perfectly. They are vintage from Dolcissimo. Made in Italy.

The wide bands of the shoes echo the wide stripes on the dress.

I could not find dolcissimo shoes - my searches kept coming up with ice creams and other products. However, I was able to narrow down the search word on Amazon to block heels.

Accessory - Oriental container
The black and white container with a lid is something which I rescued from a dump. The pattern looks typically Chinese.  It adds a touch of Asia to an outfit based on a tube skirt from Indonesia. 

Nail Polish
My toe nail varnish is white, which goes with everything in summer, sunny weather, or tropical clothes.

I have had trouble finding tube skirts. However, I found a very helpful list of skirt lengths and styles

Useful Websites



From ebay I liked
Ladynshoes from California
bright colour Wide straps. push closure. Block heel. 


Here is another, with a bow, from yangx666 on ebay



Please share links to  your favourite posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A