Shopping In Your Spare Room For new or nearly new clothes, Post 584

Storing Old Clothes in the Old Days

 In the good old days people used to store their winter clothes in a suitcase in the loft or attic in winter. The reverse took place in summer. 

Storing Items In Garages

Nowadays we recycle and collect clutter. Only a quarter of UK garages are used to store cars. Now cars are left in the front forecourt, and garages are used for storage, clothes, accessories, bric a brac.

You need to keep moving clothes. Why? To be sure that moths get disturbed. Also so that the clothes do not get mouldy from damp. (American spelling moldy.)

Avoiding Impulse Purchases

I try not to go shopping for food. I postpone my trips to Tesco supermarket because it is right near a charity shop. If I shop for food, it is better to go out after the charity shop has closed. 

Home Shopping

The Americans have home shopping channels. You see items being demonstrated on TV and you buy them from home. 

Of course you can sit at your desk and order online.

 But what about the clothes you already have and don't wear?

Shopping At Home From Cupboards

Every time that I look in the spare room, I found a new outfit which I have not seen or worn for years. Often great colours and styles. Better suited to me than most of all of the items in the shops.

I won't say that everything fits. I have had to re-label some drawers.


Angela's stacking see-through drwers, with labels. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

 Move too small or too large clothes into a different drawer or out of the drawers into another area.

 Or start alterations.

I recently gave a speech in which I said that I liked to go shopping in my own wardrobe, in order to recycle, re-wear clothes. Even Kate Middleton, who is not on such a tight budget as most watchers, is making this fashionable of re-wearing outfits acceptable. You don't have to wear a whole new outfit. You can ring the changes by altering the hat, shoes and belt or gloves or scarf.

Instead of going shopping, shop in your own wardrobe. (Americans would say closet. They have larger homes, which often have walk in closets, small rooms, without windows, storage rooms, kitted out with clothes rails under a shelf for hats and shoe boxes, scarf boxes, what you will.

Useful Websites

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12307047/Et-voila-Kate-breathes-new-life-favourite-used-outfits-new-hat-simple-twist-accessories.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A