The Perfect Pink Zip To Convert A WrapAround Towelling Robe To The Dress 610

 

Angela lansbury wearing a blue towelling robe with a red zip added. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

My blue towelling robe was originally wrap-around. I sewed in a long red zip.

I wanted to do the same with a pink wra around towelling robe.

The Perfect pink zip, dress 607. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

I have a pink towelling wrap. I don't wear it often after a shower. I wear it mostly to go swimming. I wear it walking around the pool. Also through the building and going up in the lift. I am meeting other people who are dressed, some dressed for work, some formally dressed for work, so I don't want to be in a flapping wrap.

I had already sewn a red zip into a dark blue towelling wrap. I wear it every day. So I was keen to do the same to the pink wrap.

I measured the zip in the other garment, the blue robe. I found that 32 inches was ideal. But, if that was too expensive or out of stock, 22 inches was adequate.

I told the friend the colour and the lengths. At the shop, she sent me a photo to be sure she was getting the right colour.
After I saw the pictures I noticed that some had metal teeth (brass) and I remembered that I needed to specify the 'plastic' teeth - I just checked the website, nylon. Why? Because
1 They are less likely to go rusty and leak colour and look awful in contact with water when my swimsuit is wet after swimming. (In theory, brass does not rust.)
2 They are less likely to corrode and stick together.
3 They teeth are less likely to have sharp edges and snag.

A friend of mine went to Spotlight store in Singapore and photographed the zips for me.
Photo by Carolyn Street. Copyright.

I then remembered I needed to specify, open ended.

Now, to sew it in, I needed
1 Matching dark pink cotton. I lookined in my sewing box for cottons. I tried pale pink cotton and red cotton and the red looked nearest shade to the dark pink.
2 A self-threading needle with a valve top. Or a needle with a large eye and a small circular threader with a diamond shape wire to trap the thread and push it through the eye of the need.
3 Safety pins to fix both ends of one side of the zip when sewing it on. 
4 My other garment to compare where the zip should go. If the new zip is shorter, should it start at the same height at the chest but be nearer the knee than the calf? Or should it start at the calf, with perhaps a button and ribbon loop at the top?

The second wrap in pink was shorter than the navy blue one. So start at the chest. the gap below the knee is shorter so less critical.

Useful Websites
Zips from Spotlight in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia?
Towelling bathrobe wrap in black, or pink, or gray, long sleeve, hooded
Depending on size,  terry cloth, belted, with two front below waist square pockets S$18.95 - 27.08 that is Singapore dollars, plus postage.



 




Red with white edging, similar to my pink robe, no hood, has sleeves, belt, two large pockets, cost S$ 25.72, plus postage also pale pink and pale blue






Also in black with grey or white edging, for men too.



With a hood, S454.17 plus postage

 See post 615 for update on the pink robe with the zip sewn in and instructions on how to sew in a zip.

Please share links to your favourite posts. Please follow me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A