Sewing a loose hem on a trouser leg, post on outfit 232

 The hems had come down on both trouser legs. (Americans would legs of a pair of pants.) I looked for matching thread. Dark worked better than a lighter colour. 

Next where to start? Cut a length of thread. Thread the needle. No need to pin up with safety pins. The hem is already creased into place.

Hide the cotton end inside the seam. Start where the vertical seam ends to keep everything straight. You can oversew the vertical seams on the horizontal part, both sides. That helps stop the thread unravelling.

Net decided whether to sew a line of tiny vertical stitches or one long in and out horizontal line parallel to the hem. The fabric edging, oversewn, is still in place. So I can use that as a visual guide. I tried both types of stitch. My sewing is a bit wonky. I thought tiny stitched upright would be more subtle. However, I could not get the vertical stitches spaced and regularly with regular height. So I opted for the in and out which enables you to sew more quickly.

My husband was in a hurry to wear the trousers. Quickly done. We agreed that nobody would be looking down at the hem. My amateur hand sewing was good enough Job done.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A