Elasticated caftan from Thailand, post 256

 


Elasticated Caftan
I saw this dress in the main shop in Katathani Phuket Resort, Thailand. I had three days consider buying it.

I was torn between buying a plain caftan and this elasticated version. The elasticated version was dearer. More unusual. It had a tie at the neck. 

I could copy a plain caftan with two rows of stitching, even hand sewing. I did this once years ago when I first arrived in Singapore in 1993 and could not find clothes my size. To make a dress with an elasticated waist, a matching drawstring and matching tie to make a bow at the neck would take a lot more time.

It was a different look. it felt a bit tight. Hot and sticky in humid Thailand. Constricting.

On the other hand, eventually elastic goes loose. In cooler weather my body would get smaller.

I should have bought both dresses in turquoise. 

Why didn't I? Because I had already bought the rainbow dress. And a scarf. I had a small weight allowance on Scoot, the budget airline related to Singapore Airlines.

I took a photo of myself wearing the drawstring dress. I though it made my bust look big. I looked fat. And lop-sided (which I am, mostly due to a broken clavicle from a car accident back in 1984).

However, I showed the picture to my friend Carolyn who used to be on the large size until doctors made her lose weight with the help of pills before an operation. She enthused, "You look lovely in it." I then regretted not buying it. I thought of phoning my family who were about to leave Thailand, and asking them to look in any supermarket or souvenir shop or airport duty free shop as they left for somethign similar. however, due to the time difference they were later in the day and about to leave the country.

So I look at the picture and tell myself, It didn't suit me. However, I am still searching only, with a word search. And an image search.

Useful Websites
https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9.html?subj=coupon-
Image search produced several dresses, three times the price of the one in Thailand - plus postage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225814495936

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A