Japanese style Kimono from Debenhams - first used as a dressing gown, later used as a stage prop, dress 299

Photo from Harrovian Toastmasters. 

Angela in red kimono, presented with certificate of participation for contests, and placed second in Speech Contest, 1st in Evlatuation Contetst.. Photo from Harrovians, Toastmasters International club.

The Kimono
The kimono is red, my favourite colour. I had to have it. The label is Debenhams. Surprise. It is a night gown, a dressing gown. Odd name, that. Mostly for undressing. It is silky.

I was looking for a prop for a speech about learning languages, featureing examples from Japanese. I had language cards. The feedback I got from my other Toastmasters International club in London was that the cards were too small. So, I thought, I needed a larger prop. Blow up the cards to A4 size. That meant a lot of work. I was thinking about a hat or belt, or small tea cup, still too small. Then my eyes caught sight of the kimono. Perfect. Certainly large enough to see. Memorable. And visible in a photo.

Only one small problem. I decided it was irrelevant in the first half of the evening, the evaluation contest, and should be kept hidden and produced only when it was my turn to give a speech.

In the break, a friend stopped me to speak to me. Then I grabbed some food and drink to boost my energy. The call back to the contest came. I raced to the toilet. I grabbed my kimono and came back still tying it on. It needed to be tied around the waist inside with two thin ribbons, before being folded across the body, otherwise the underneath part sags and shows at the hem.

I raced out to get it. As my name was announced I ran in still trying to fasten the inner ribbons. I needed to shake hands with the announcer.

I had no time to fix that inside tie. I had to concentrate on what I was saying, move from one side of the stage to another, and use my hands for gestures. I should have made tying the kimono part of the speech. Something about getting tied up, or in knotes. I just said putting on a kimono and speaking a new lamguage were always a challenge when you do it for the first time or haven[t done it for a long time.

I cropped the photo to show only myself, because I wanted to feature the kimono with no distractions.

Please share links to your favourite posts Share on Blogger, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram Former Twitter, now X.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A