Library fabric used to decorate a tote bag - and make a matching tee-shirt with a bookshelf image, dress 300


 Angela Lansbury with library pattern fabric used to decorate a tote bag. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

I was looking for a tee shirt with books. Up popped an advertisement for a company selling fabric. A metre of fabric would be more than a tee-shirt. But I was tempted.
A book curtain backdrop would be great on zoom. Tidier than my own books.
They had a sample for under five dollars. I bought it.
It arrived. It was thick curtain material, stiff. Not inclined to drape. But for a sharpt cut or suare or oblong, to match the pattern, would be best. Some of the tee-shirts had the pattern in a square or round or heart shape  frame on the front.

The weight was just about light enough for making a shirt dress. Or a tunic or tee shirt

I folded it neatly in half and put it down on top of a tote bag. I thought, that\s nice. It would make a good patch on a tote bag. I cut the sample in half and dewed it on. How about using the other half on a tee-shirt.? 

Easier said than done. Most of my tee shirts were different fabrics, the wrong colour, and had patterns on the front, sometimes also on the back.

My yellow tee-shirt was the right colour. It matched the books perfectly. But I would have to use the blanck back.

The back of the neck was higher. I had to cut a slit. It did not hang right. I filled in the trinagular gap with stretchy fabric which I had in my sewing box. The stretchy fabric was from underwear which had alstic which perished around the edge. I sewed it across the top of the neck. I could now wear it comforatably, and it would give a little so I could pull the tee-shirt over my head easily.

The second half of the sample was too big to go across the chest. Too wide. It didn't not fit. It did not feel nor look right. So I cut it into a smaller lozenge. 

It took a long time to sew it on. The piece on the bag I had not bothered to turn under twice and it was already fraying and leaving wiry strings of thread. This time, despite having to cut the books on the right and left of the pattern, I made the double fold to secure the cur part both hidden and unlikely to catch on anything else and snag. Contained. The fabric was tough. I had to fold it carefully. I fastneed it with safety pins before sewing it. I was glad I did. I had to move the lozenge a couple of times to line it up correctly. 

I now had a third small piece. I decided to add a third patch, this time onto my black jacket. I hesitated over this. Would it clash with other patterned blouses, a distraction. 

Never mind. I was detemined to make the triple patch outfit. 

I sewed around three sides. It was late and I was tired. Why bother to sew up the fourth side. I now had a pocket. It was not big enough for anything larger than a hanky. It was just right for business cards. I was forever hunting for a business card to give people at meetings. Here was the answer. A pocket for nothing else.

I still had one tiny piece of fabric. Too small for anything. It was hardly more than the width of a pen. That was the solution! I could keepp a pen in it. 

Since it was a different shape, again I had to try it in position with the safety pins. (I don't use pins. I had already stabbed myself several times with the needle and thread.)

Should it go level with the top of the other pocket or the bottom? Near the breast for easy access, or like hand size so I ould use it to anchor my finger tips? Hide it under my arm. But not get the pen rubbing my arm. Not have it round the back because I would sit on the business cards or pen.

I finally had the outfit finished. If I cannot wear the black jacket with any other outfit, I have the perfec book patch outfit. I want it for my writing holiday, and any occasion when I want to promote myself as an author.

I love it. 

My husband thinks I should sell the tote bag with books on it.

The fabric company sent me a voucher for buying fabric at a discount. 

But I am already onto my next idea. What else can I decorate with patches?  

Please share links to your favourite postsPlease share links to your favourite blog posts, with friends, and on Facebook, Twitter (no renamed X), Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A