Photos, Edited, Cropped, AI, natural, or what? Post 304



You can enhance your travel photos by cropping. Remove litter. Objects obstructing your view. 

A lot of fuss was made over the edited photos of the Princess of Wales, Kate (nee Middleton). Was the PR company to blame for sending them out. Surely PR is about prucing the best possible pictures. If they are misleading, then to clarity words could, and should be added. From now on I shall try to remember to add to my photos the words, natural, unedited photo, cropped photo, or cropped and edited. 

 The solution is simple. Just like the newspapers have to put advertisement, advertorial or editorial or disclaimers on articles, photos should be accompanies by the words, natural photo, edited photo, or AI photo.

Dates are also useful. Dating sites sometimes specify recent photo taken in the last year or the last 3 months.

If I employ a photographer to photograph a wedding I epect him to crop out litter or passers by in the distance. 

I have also had group photos where one person had their eyes shut. This ight spoil the photo for the others in the group. Or the person might object to that photo of themselves being shown. Two possibilities, to crop the picture on both sides, but that showed two sets of two people, none of the jollier five. My husband copied the open eyes from another photo. Nobody noticed or cared. They were happy with the result. It did not misrepresent anything.

Another factor might be photos of an accident. I would want the photo including the bruising and myself looking miserable for an insurance claim. I might want another photo, with smiles, to show the family why I cannot attend a meeting, but not to worry them. 

When I take photo of myself wearing outfits for my blog dressofthedayangela.blogspot , I sometimes edit them. I figure that the reader wants to see the dress, and ideas they can copy, not bit of my kitchen which are distrating, nor passing cars creating a background blur. It is a courtesy to the reader to focus on what is interesting and edit out distractions. Creases in clothes are another thing to cut. If you stand leaning in one direction, you get a distracting diagonal crease. 

sometimes, if we have time, I take another photo, leaning in a different direction, ruther from or nearer to the camer. Sometimes my husband says he prefers the shot which does not show the clothes to their best advantage, because I have a bigger, brighter smile. 

I used to wonder whether a reader would not want their time wasted reading about how the photo was edited. However, I shall now onwards consider whether notes on whether and how a picture was edited should be included, because the reader is entitled to know.

Useful Websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_editing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/royals/article-13187075/Whoopi-Goldberg-defends-Kate-Middleton-view.html

If you have a favourite post on my blog, please share the links.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A