Shortened black dress and infinity scarf from the hem, worn with blue, post 323

Angela Lansbury in Dorothy Perkins dress with cut hem. Photo by Trevor Sharot

Was it a dress or a slip? It was long and black and thin with spaghetti straps. I decided it was a dress. The fabric had a very faint diagonal pattern.

The Big Little Black Dress
Firstly, the black dress was not little, It was UK size 16. Maybe that accounted for the length. 
 
Secondly, the Little Black Dress was not little, but too long. So I cut off the hem. 

The Scarf
I was left with an infinity scarf. The scarf filled in the neck of the spaghetti strap dress.

The Blouse
 Too much black around the face. Funereal. Dull Depressing. So I added a black and white and grey and pink patch geometric pattern shirt from Shein.

The Hooded Jacket
The blue hooded jacket was needed for warmth. 

Boots
I had warm ankle length boots. 
The material is real leather. At least the stretchy part around the ankle.

The sole is synthetic. 
With a zip at the back. Bliss.
 

The Black Dres

I had a Dorothy Perkins dress or slip in black. I never wore it. 

Why? It was too long. It kept tripping me up. I would put it on. Take one step. Catch my heel or toes. Fall over. Grab something. Save myself. Take off the dress.

Call To Action

Finally, I decided I had to cut off the hem. Even if I ruined the dress. I had to shorten it. Even if I could not wear it as a dress and had to make a shorter tunic or, worst case scenario, cutting more and more until I only had a tank top. I was not going to wear it as it was, too long. Time for it to stop taking up space in my cupboard. Time for it to earn its keep.

Shortening Options

I could have made it into two large matching pieces. A calf length skirt. A long tunic top. 

But I don't have many dresses. It is quicker to put on one piece than two. A one piece dress shows off your waist better than a loose top.

How To Shorten A Hem

I turned up the hem. I pinned it. As you can see in the previous post. I kept trying it on and shortening it. A bit more. A bit more. 

Finally, it was pinned clear of my heels and toes. 

Cutting

I should have measured up from the hem, marked it with tailor's chalk, sewn it up with a long tacking stitch. 

I didn't. I cut carefully, with pinking sheers.

Job done. Mission achieved. Safe to wear and walk about.

It was even even both sides. I checked by wearing it reversed left to right. 

The hem was immediately wearable as an infinity scarf. I could have slit it half way to make a scarf hanging like a tie, or a belt, or a short scarf and a half belt at the back of the dress.

I had thought I might need to turn it up to stop it fraying and looking ragged. But there was no time. I was keen to wear it straight away. I wore it to an evening meeting. 

Not one person said, "Your skirt hem is uneven".

Success. So if you have an item you never wear. Thin fabric. That's what you can do.

Useful Websites

Dorothy Perkins

https://www.dorothyperkins.com/

Please share your favourite posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A