How To Disguise faded or stained fabric: White to Blue to dye for, dyed Tru blouse, dress of the day 572

 I had a lovely white blouse, elegant evening wear. The buttons were gleaming, with central diamonte, gold colour edge, soothing circular buttons. Dress of the day and dressy for the evening.

Tru blue blouse, dyed blue. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.
 

Echoing the larger buttons were tiny glittering mock diamond accents. On the collar and cuffs were parallel strips of gold colour matching the buttons, 

The TRU Brand

The label was TRU, a German brand. Expensive. I bought it from a now gone shop in Hatch End high street (Americans say main street) in London, England. I tried on every white blouse in the shop, until reluctantly paying for the high price blouse, which outclassed the others as well as fitting me and suiting me. It would go well with a long black skirt for evening wear.

Because it was so expensive, it sat unworn in my cupboard for weeks, months, years. (Americans say closet - but they really do have large walk-in closets, whilst British houses have built in cupboards, or the old fashioned free-standing wardrobes.)

Fading and Streaking 

I took it out and was horrified to find the pristine white has turned into streaky yellow. What had happened? Cold washing did not improve it. Because of the delicate buttons and stuck on gold pieces, I could not dare wash it on high heat in a washing machine. 

Disposal Disappointment

The UK charity shops would not accept stained clothing. 

Washing and Cleaning

The label says 100 per cent cotton. Wolle is German for wool. Baum is German for tree. Baumwolle is literally tree wool, the English meaning being cotton.

The label said you could wash it up to 40 degrees. 

The dry cleaners were not willing to take an item with such delicate buttons and embellishments. If they did, reluctantly, they would not guarantee that the buttons and embellishments would not be damaged. My risk. And they charged as much as a new item!

What could I do? Nothing.

A little later I got out something small to dye and wondered what else I could do with the coloured blue water, before throwing it away. Maybe dye the cuffs or collar of the streaky cream and white TRU blouse. 

I am not a very meticulous person. I have no patience. The blue dye spread from the cuffs and collar in streaks down the blouse. I had no choice. I had to dunk the whole thing in the blue water.

Fabric cotton. Spare button. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

Wonderful! The result was amazing. You would never know it had once been white. I loved the blue. Totally different. Livelier than plain boring white. Matches my eyes. Makes a change.

I have worn it several times. I love the blue. I have made use of the blouse. 

The dye was a powder dye for fabrics. You can buy it from department stores, paying extra for postage. Or some household shops. or have it sent online - I have Amazon premium, which costs me a flat fee and something every month. I needed the premium's fast delivery when buying furnishing or to replace broken items for my home or a tenant in my late parents' home.  

Update - Broken Buttons

At last the buttons are disintegrating. The glass bead in the centre has fallen off. Fortunately, there is a spare button.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A