Accessory - How To Recycle a Ring
Do you have any jewellery which is broken or has lost its colour. No need to throw it away.
I had a ring which was battered and discoloured.
Here is the back. The front was the same.
Restoring shape
The first task was to restore the shape so that I could handle it. We used pliers to bend the two prongs of the band apart and straighten them. I also wanted the edges of the ring bent back because they were rubbing on my fingers.
Re-Sizing The Ring
The ring is quite large. It dwarfed my little fingers. So we expanded it to fit the ring finger or middle finger of both hands. I decided to wear it on my left hand so that it was less likely to get knocked during the day.
Painting the Ring
My first thought was to paint it with gold paint. Would this be safe against my skin?
I had a bottle of nail varnish nearby. My nails needed painting, I started to paint my nails and thought, if I use the nail varnish, it is safe on my skin,
So I used gold nail varnish. The varnish was applied successfully. It dried in 5 to 10 minutes. It did not flake off. However, the result was not exciting. It was marginally better than the dirty black look. But it was now a dull gold look.
I looked at my nail polish on my fingernails. Bright orange. Could I use that colour? A bright orange Buddha was absurd. How about the surroundings of the Buddha?
Also it will match the ring.
I started on the outside of the ring first, just a tiny dab in case I made a mistake. Not the band, in case I got varnish all over my hand as I tried to move the ring around, or wanted to take it off my finger.
To my surprise, the colour of the varnish was not the same as on my fingernails. The darker ring changed the colour of the varnish. I tried a second coat, but the effect was not much different.
I didn't mind. I wear a lot of darker red. So the ring goes well with darker red clothes.
I left the fiddly bits of the buddha in the middle to last.
I was then able to put on the ring and consider what to do with it.
I liked it the way it was. The gold makes it stand out from the background, visually as well as physically.
I love my 'new' ring.
I shall write other posts on mending jewellery. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact me thought Facebook.
Useful Websites
Nail varnish - this exbuy Singapore website came up half in Chinese. In theory you can change the page or copy any vital symbols into translate Google , or put the English words you think might be relevant into translate google and see if you get a Chinese symbol match.
https://ezbuy.sg/product/
About the Author Of This Post
Angela Lansbury is a travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
Please see my other blogs and posts and share with your friends the links to your favourite posts.
travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com



Comments
Post a Comment