How to convert pyjamas into a skirt - and create a sunshine outfit. Dress of the day 229 Yellow: silk blouse from China, skirt converted from Next pyjamas, dickey from child's top
Sharot Family Photo by Trevor Sharot. Angela is wearing: a yellow pure silk blouse made in China.
This is a loose, comfortable, casual outfit. I started by converting grey pyjama bottoms into a skirt. The yellow contrast colour was much more appealing than the grey. I found a yellow silk blouse, loose like the skirt. Then yellow shoes. A yellow child's vest. Finally, the yellow umbrella. Sunshine!
The Yellow Silk Blouse
The yellow silk blouse label says pure silk, made in China.
The silk is slightly rough. I wonder whether washing with lots of fabric conditioner will have any softening effect. Once the garment is on me, I don't notice the texture. It is loose and I like it.
A silk blouse? Silk should be soft and special. But it looks loose and casual. I look more carefully. The blouse has short side slits. The slits are curved on both sides.
Blouse Adaptability
I wore the blouse outside the skirt first. That seemed most comfortable in hot weather.
But I looked in the mirror. It looked loose.Then I tied it up, with a knot from the corners of the front hem, to make it more fitted which I felt was more flattering.
If you ever lose a button, you can replace any other button with the lowest button. Hide the missing lowest button by tying the hem in a front knot.
Pearly Buttons
The buttons are thick, shiny pearly yellow. They have four buttonholes. In the olden days I would hand sew buttons going from one hole to the next, making a square of thread. Instead, these buttons are sewn with two parallele lines between two holes.
When I looked for the washing instructions, I found two spare buttons on the inside of the lower left above the slit.
The Skirt
The skirt is converted pyjama bottoms. I never wore them. Pyjamas were too hot and constricting by day and night. They looked loose, bell-bottomed, so conversion into a skirt was possible, enough material.
You simply slit the inside seams up both legs. Pinking sheers prevent fraying. You can hem later when you have time. I cut one side of the seam so one side has the original firm and neat stitching.
The pyjamas had a wide elastic waist band. An extra plus was a drawstring white cotton tape, with in out silver thread parallel to both sides. Instant fit at the waist for the skirt.
Next
The pyjamas have the label Next. I looked up the company in \wikipedia. I read that the company originated in the UK in the1800s and is bigger than Marks & Spencer.
Next, according to Wikipedia:
It has around 700 stores, of which circa 500 are in the United Kingdom, and circa 200 across Europe, Asia and the Middle East.[1] Next is the largest clothing retailer by sales in the United Kingdom, having overtaken Marks & Spencer in early 2012 and 2014.
The Yellow Vest
The yellow vest is a child's, labelled bossini Kids 110. The name bossini is spelled with a lower case b. I was about to slit the sides, when I decided to just try once to pull it over my head to see if it would stretch sufficiently. I was astonished that I was able to wear it. It is skin tight.
I wore it inside out and back to front, to fill in the neck of the blouse. It covers any bra straps which might otherswise peep out.
Yellow Crocs
The yellow crocs look rather clumsy but this is a casual outfit. The Crocs are flat and easy to slip on and off. Above all, the colours co-ordinate.
I wear the Crocs outdoors, especially going down to the swimming pool and back. I want to protect my feet from the sun's rays.
The Crocs say Boulder, Colorado. Colorado is in the USA. They are size 4-r5 but are roomy because they are open at the back. The strap rotates forward and back. So you can wear them backless or with the strap at the back.
The Umbrella
I added the umbrella for more yellow colour. The handle is yellow like a tulip. That is what you notice when the umbrella is in the umbrella stands. When the umbrella is open, the yellow fabric is more obvious.
The Tablemat
I was going to put the table mat on my bambooo table but that is in use elsewhere. So I placed it on a circular stool. You cannot place anything like a cup on the mat as it is not supported. I could have put a tray underneath the mat.
The Fruit Accessory
A yellow lemon would have co-ordinated. But nobody eats a lemon without cutting it. So to be more practical I chose a banana.
Useful Websites
Children's clothes
Crocs Sandals
Umbrellas with tulip handles and tulip patterns or other Dutch motifs such as windmills.
They come with tulip shape handles in red, fuscia, yellow or white.
Tel: +31-299-406060
E-mail: info@hollandwinkel.nl
E-mail: info@hollandwinkel.nl
About 7 Euros plus postage.
next
About the Author
Angela Lansbury is a British author who has lived in the USA, Spain and Singapore. Her 20 books include Wedding Speeches & Toasts, and Quick Quotations.
She has lived in the USA, Spain and Singapore. She is a travel writer and photographer.
Angela Lansbury is a teacher of English (advanced and English as a Second Language or English as a Foreign Language, French and other languages, aspiring polyglot.
Angela Lansbury is also a speaker. Member of many toastmasters - speaker training clubs - and a speaking contest judge.
She has several blogs and writes daily on at least two of the following:
Please share links to your favourite posts.



Comments
Post a Comment