DIY dress of the day 279, multicolor dress, made in a moment
I found a large piece of fine fabric, the size of a small sheet. A bedcover?
It looked like a throw to brighten up a faded or threadbare sofa. But a rather thin fabric. Not suitable for sitting on.
What was it for? I bet I bought it from a charity shop in the UK just because of its colours.
Just the thing for a new outfit.
Size
Was the fabric large enough for a full length dress? Yes, plenty. When I folded it in half, horizontally, I could see it stretched from my shoulder to my ankles.
If anything, it was too long. The fabric was doubled on the two shorter ends.
I could make a skirt and a top. But why end up with two odd pieces? More sewing. One piece would look neater. Easier to keep in one place than two pieces which kept losing the other half. Less work to make one piece than all that cutting and sewing of edges.
Where To Cut
I debated with myself for a long time how to cut it. Should I leave the doubled ends, as a neat hem? I would have to make a short cut in the middle, for the neck. That gave me the bright yellow part of the pattern nearest my face.
Or should I turn it the other way up? The doubled green part across the shoulders. Sewn up across the shoulders. I would have to cut neatly with large wallpaper shears, or pinking sheers for a tiny zig zig hem. The hem would probably be neater if I folded it twice and hemmed all the way along.
I hummed and ha-ed for half an hour. In the end, I thought, if it goes on like this, another day will pass with a piece of folded cloth sitting doing nothing, of no use to me, nor to the world.
I picked up the scissors. I folded it vertically and snipped out a v shape. Why did I never think of that before?. Then I cut a horizontal piece. I tried it on. Not large enough for my head. A couple more snips and it was over my head.
As it was too long, likely to trip me up, I decided to cut off the doubled hem. So it would not hang flat and neat. Never mind. Instead, it would be 'floaty'.
I cut the first band close to the upper stitching of the long side. I tried it on. Still long. I cut the second side wider, more suitable for a scarf than a belt. Since the neck was already in place, the dress would slip forward, unless I could anchor the back to keep the garment longer at the back.
The belt could be a belt or a headband. Could I make both? A half belt at the back? And a headband which had the fabric arched from each to ear with elastic or ribbon hidden under my hair at the back.
I found a length of ribbon on a spool which was a close enough match to act as a belt.
My dress was ready. As the fabric was thin, it was perfect to keep me cool. If I wanted to, I could wear a slip underneath. The colour would effect the look.
For the photo prop I chose my latest favourite, an orange parasol.
Useful Websites
UK
https://www.facebook.com/finefabricssheffield/
https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/fabrics
Singapore
https://www.spotlightstores.com/sg/sewing-fabrics
Worldwide
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheesecloth-Cheesemaking-Discount-Fabrics-LTD
https://www.fabric.com/shop/lightweight-cotton-cloth
BIOGRAPHY
Angela Lansbury B A Hons ACG ALB PM5 EH5 DL5 VC5
The Author of several books including Etiquette For Every Occasion. Wedding Speeches & Toasts. How to be the Best Man. Quick Quotations. Who Said What When.
Blogs travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com
dressofthedayangela.blogspot.com
Braddell Heights Advanced Toastmasters Speakers Club Vice President Public Relations (VPPR), Previous President
Join BHA 1st Wednesday 7pm and 3rd Saturday 2 pm Singapore time on bha.learncool.sg
Vice President Public Relations (VP PR) of Tampines Changkat Advanced;
Secretary of weekly online Singapore International Dynamic Toastmasters Speakers’ Club;
Member and past president of Harrovians toastmasters club, UK; Past member of HOD Toastmasters, London. Past member in Singapore of: Toastmasters Club of Singapore (TCS); Tiarel; and Senja Cashew.
More details from Toastmasters International find a club.
Regular attendee at annual Swanwick Writers’ School, England.
Regular attendee at annual Writers’ Holiday, Wales.
Contributor to poetry readings, and after tea courses on: Speaking On Radio To Promote Books; and Plots And Character.
Winner of many club and area speaking contests in the UK and Singapore.
Language advisor to Empire Toastmasters club in Indonesia.
Language and speech workshops in Singapore.
Speaker on radio and TV in England, Scotland, the USA, and Australia.
Compiler of a school course on public speaking for teachers to prepare pupils for school open days with attending ceremonies before government ministers, Singapore.
Former member of Harrow Writers’ Circle, London, and two writing groups in Singapore.
Angela is on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter. She would be delighted to link up with new friends.
Comments
Post a Comment