Dress of the Day 280: Cool blue and white. DIY dress from a scarf.

 

Angela is wearing a cool blue and white striped DIY dress made from a scarf. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

Scarf Source

I bought this large scarf from a charity shop in Hatch End, N W London, UK. They usually have several scarves at assorted prices. You can buy scarves from cheap shops or online. Whenever I see scarves in great colours or sold at great prices, I take a look.


Size

 I looked through the hanging scarves for large scarves. This one was the right size, super sized, sufficiently large to make a dress. First, I check whether a scarf will match lots of outfits. If so, I keep it with my scarf collection. However, in this case the stripes would not go with my dresses which had patterns of flowers. If a scarf matches nothing, consider turning it into a dress. Alternatively make a top and find a plain skirt. 


Cool Colour

 I loved the colour. The vibrant, bright, royal blue, contrasted with the clean, iridescent white. 

Style - Fun fringe

Fringes can be untidy. But this was a well-kept fringe. The fringe added interest, length and swishiness.

Floaty Fabric

Plus Points

The fabric was almost see-through in one of the alternating stripes.  It felt light. Easy to wear. Especially in a hot climate such as Singapore. 

Minus Points

It felt fragile. I was afraid of seating it out. Or sitting down suddenly and pulling it apart at the neck. Never mind. If it tore, I could sew it up, or join it and conceal the tear with a ribbon. Even if I wore the dress only once, wearing it once was better than never wearing it, leaving it in a drawer, neglected. 

I had just made another dress by cutting a horizontal line for the neck, midway up the fabric.

I first fastened it all the way around the dress with a thin blue ribbon. Then I found a white elasticated belt.

The hat is from my collection of hats. I placed the fabric rose hat on top of a white baseball cap. The white brim keeps the sun out of my eyes. The blue flower adds class and interest.

Useful Websites

Lining fabric from lazada

https://www.amazon.com/Iristide-Lightweight-Scarves-Summer-Protection/dp/B08533P5BH

https://www.lazada.sg/products/super-deal-silkcotton-fabric-pure-white-silk-material-for-dress-lining-silk-cotton-tissue-lightweight-soft-silk-linings-i1915779679-s10240026592.html

pinking shears

wall paper shears

About the author

About the Author Angela Lansbury

BIOGRAPHY

Angela Lansbury B A Hons ACG ALB PM5 EH5 DL5 VC5 
The Author of several books including  Etiquette For Every Occasion. Wedding Speeches & Toasts. How to be the Best Man. Quick Quotations. Who Said What When.

Blogs travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com

dressofthedayangela.blogspot.com

translateforfun.blogspot.com

Braddell Heights Advanced Toastmasters Speakers Club Vice President Public Relations (VPPR), Previous President

Join BHA 1st Wednesday 7pm and 3rd Saturday 2 pm Singapore time on bha.learncool.sg  

Vice President Public Relations (VP PR) of Tampines Changkat Advanced;

Secretary of weekly online Singapore International Dynamic Toastmasters Speakers’ Club;

Member and past president of Harrovians toastmasters club, UK; Past member of HOD Toastmasters, London. Past member in Singapore of: Toastmasters Club of Singapore (TCS); Tiarel; and Senja Cashew.

More details from Toastmasters International find a club.

Regular attendee at annual Swanwick Writers’ School, England.

Regular attendee at annual Writers’ Holiday, Wales.

Contributor to poetry readings, and after tea courses on: Speaking On Radio To Promote Books; and Plots And Character.

Winner of many club and area speaking contests in the UK and Singapore.

Language advisor to Empire Toastmasters club in Indonesia.

Language and speech workshops in Singapore.

Speaker on radio and TV in England, Scotland, the USA, and Australia.

Compiler of a school course on public speaking for teachers to prepare pupils for school open days with attending ceremonies before government ministers, Singapore.

Former member of Harrow Writers’ Circle, London, and two writing groups in Singapore.

Angela is on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter. She would be delighted to link up with new friends.

 Please share links to your favourite posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.