How to buy cheaply in a hurry? Happy Wear Hibiscus Dress, only 15 Singapore dollars from Holland Village. Dress 304.
Where did you get that dress?
In Holland Village, Singapore, near the exit from the MRT railway station, is an indoor shopping mall with a large supermarket on the ground floor, (called first), and upstairs on the first floor (called second) are the toilets and a furniture and gift shop and a large dress shop called Lim's, my favourite.
Toilets
Many restaurants in Singapore have to public toilets, or have just one cubicle which seems to be permanently under renovation. So it's handy to know the location of the public toilets. )
Other toilets in Holland village are in the undercover hawker center.
I knew from previous experience that the big Lim's always has a sale rail, at one side. But the smaller dress shop, which I presume is the same family, is on the edges.
I went straight to the small shop. They had a row of dresses at only 12 dollars, reduced from 15. Bright patterns. Some had spaghetti straps. But others had shoulders and a U-shape neck, more fabric, more covered for appearing on zoom in the home office, or answering the door to deliveries.
Before buying I checked out the main Lim store. They had better designs, short sleeves, full length sleeves, and ankle length dresses. But the ones I really liked were at much high prices.
I rushed back to the smaller shop. I bought three dresses, in a hurry because I had a medical appointment. I did not try on the dresses so I did not check the styles.
When I got home, I found some pluses and minuses.
Minus - Fabric
The fabric is rayon. 100%. I prefer cotton. The rayon feels synthetic.
The bright white seems to be a paint which will eventually flake off. However, many tee-shirts have embossed patterns, and we still buy them. Besides,once you are wearing it, you don't notice.
Plus Weight
The dress feels so light. Perfect for hot weather.
Cut Minus
No special cut. No sleeves. No curves. No bust darts. Just a tunic.
Pattern - Plus
The patterns are lovely. The two bright colours are flowers, not orchids, the Singaporean flower, but hibiscus, which you might associate with Hawaii. The darker blue is palm trees.
I chose two bright colours, a pink and an orange, for the large white orchids, tropical. The third dress is blue, soothing blue
Plus - Belt
Two tie belts, one either side of the waist, so you can pull the dress back to be more fitting.
Brand
Happy Wear. Made in Thailand. I can't find this on the internet.
Glossary
MRT
Mass Rapid Transit (trains)
Address
New Kim dressmaker
Alice Ong
211 Holland Avenue, #02-29
Holland Road Shopping Centre
Singapore 278967
Tel +65-6467 2056
hp +65 9834 3220
email: newkim_alice@hotmail.com
If you do a search for hibiscus you can find fabric on sale by the metre to make up your own clothes.
Or go into a big fabric store, such as Spotlight.
I found a Hibiscus bathtowel on offer. Reduced from 25 to 12.50 Sing dollars.
https://www.spotlightstores.com/sg/bath/towels/beach-towels/brampton-house-hibiscus-beach-towel/80552091?g
From Shein, for only nine dollars, a short dress with short sleeves.
I have saved some of the catalogue pictures in my Pinterest site.
Accessories
Orange Parasol
Orange Paper Parasol - sunshade. Ordered online from China. Described in a previous post. I had one in pink, later ordered another in orange.
Orange Hat
Fancy dress shop online. Very good value. Mentioned in a previous post. You can buy it in lots of colours.
Summary - Tips
1 Check the fabric name on the label, also how the fabric feels.
2 Look at the length, or dimensions.
3 Compare prices of similar items in shops nearby.
4 Compare with better items at higher prices in the same shop.
5 A short dress or tunic can be made into a longer outfit with a petticoat or trousers (which Americans call pants).
Useful Websites
reduced from 17.10 to 8.50 dollars.
Their video.
https://br.pinterest.com/angelalansbury1/dress-of-the-day-with-angela-lansbury/
BIOGRAPHY
Angela Lansbury B A Hons ACG ALB PM5 EH5 DL5 VC5
The Author of several books including Etiquette For Every Occasion. Wedding Speeches & Toasts. How to be the Best Man. Quick Quotations. Who Said What When.
Blogs travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com
dressofthedayangela.blogspot.com
Braddell Heights Advanced Toastmasters Speakers Club Vice President Public Relations (VPPR), Previous President
Join BHA 1st Wednesday 7pm and 3rd Saturday 2 pm Singapore time
Vice President Public Relations (VP PR) of Tampines Changkat Advanced;
Secretary of weekly online Singapore International Dynamic Toastmasters Speakers’ Club;
Member and past president of Harrovians toastmasters club, UK; Past member of HOD Toastmasters, London. Past member in Singapore of: Toastmasters Club of Singapore (TCS); Tiarel; and Senja Cashew.
More details from Toastmasters International find a club.
Regular attendee at annual Swanwick Writers’ School, England.
Regular attendee at annual Writers’ Holiday, Wales.
Contributor to poetry readings, and after tea courses on: Speaking On Radio To Promote Books; and Plots And Character.
Winner of many club and area speaking contests in the UK and Singapore.
Language advisor to Empire Toastmasters club in Indonesia.
Language and speech workshops in Singapore.
Speaker on radio and TV in England, Scotland, the USA, and Australia.
Compiler of a school course on public speaking for teachers to prepare pupils for school open days with attending ceremonies before government ministers, Singapore.
Former member of Harrow Writers’ Circle, London, and two writing groups in Singapore.
Angela is on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter. She would be delighted to link up with new friends.
Comments
Post a Comment