Get Ready for Red Days! Christmas and Chinese New Year. Happy, Short Red Dress. Outfit Dress of the Day 306.

Angela wearing a red and white dress from New Kim in Holland Village. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

I wore my wonderful new red dress for a photo and added red accessories to accentuate the red.

Dress

I bought the new dress from New Kim, Holland Village, the same shop as the orange dress in the previous post. Again, as I did with the orange dress, I shall try to make a completely new outfit with different accessories, shoes, hat, and a long red skirt. 

Lipstick

I am wearing red lipstick. YSL. My favourite brand has an elegant gold case which handily doubles as a mirror

Red Sandals

The red sandals are size 5, triple E (EEE). I bought them in London. I have two pairs. I bought them on ebay.co.uk. The company also has ebay.com. 

I am wearing a red bra. I thought red would be better, in case the straps showed. When I put the dress on top I thought that a white bra and a white vest or petticoat would accentuate the white of the dress.

Accessories For Red Pictures

I matched up the reds in my outfit with four cushions containing all or mostly red. The carpet also contains some red which echoes the colour scheme.

Red Hats

A red hat is the finishing touch. The straw hat has a red hat band which does not show because of the way I have held up the brim to show my face. 

If the red is too overwhelming, some white and green adds a little variety. 

Dress Darts and Substitute Belts

The dress has no bust darts. I have tightened it with the two half belts from the side hems at waist level which tie at the back.

Not having bust darts enables you to wear the dress both ways around, if the neck is the same both sides. The pattern is not symmetrical so the effect both ways are different. I tried it both ways and was glad that I did because I liked it reversed.

What is now the back view, had red on one side and white the other side of the top half. That created a lopsided effect. I like this way with some red on the other side. 

In the photo it is the opposite to the way it looked in the mirror. In the mirror. I saw the large red flower on the right with the narrower red on the left. But this way you see it the opposite way around with the large red flower on the left. 

I could reverse the photo to show the dress the other way around. However, that also changes my face. And my teeth. And the background. And any writing is reversed on books or bags or small items. A stranger might not notice. But I find a reversed  portrait is disconcerting.

In a later post see the second outfit with the same dress.

White Vase

The white vase with red flower could have been in the background. But I had a table in front so I placed the vase on the table in the foreground.

Useful Information

Address

New Kim dressmaker

Alice Ong

211 Holland Avenue, #02-29

Holland Road Shopping Centre

Singapore 278967

Tel +65-6467 2056

hp +65 9834 3220

email: newkim_alice@hotmail.com


If you do a search for hibiscus you can find fabric on sale by the metre to make up your own clothes. 

Or go into a big fabric store, such as Spotlight. 

I found a Hibiscus bathtowel on offer. Reduced from 25 to 12.50 Sing dollars.

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sg/bath/towels/beach-towels/brampton-house-hibiscus-beach-towel/80552091?g


From Shein, for only nine dollars, a short dress with short sleeves.

I have saved some of the catalogue pictures in my Pinterest site.


Summary - Tips

1 Check the fabric name on the label, also how the fabric feels. 

2 Look at the length, or dimensions.

3 Compare prices of similar items in shops nearby. 

4 Compare with better items at higher prices in the same shop.

5 A short dress or tunic can be made into a longer outfit with a petticoat or trousers (which Americans call pants).


Useful Websites 

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sg/sewing-fabrics/dress-apparel-fabrics/dressmaking-fabrics-buying-guide

https://www.modes4u.com/en/kawaii/p55486_rayon-poplin-fabric-by-Robert-Kaufman-in-dark-blue-with-hibiscus-flowers.html

reduced from 17.10 to 8.50 dollars.

Their video.

https://youtu.be/1J3afRvj1ek

https://br.pinterest.com/angelalansbury1/dress-of-the-day-with-angela-lansbury/

About the Author Angela Lansbury

BIOGRAPHY

Angela Lansbury B A Hons ACG ALB PM5 EH5 DL5 VC5 
The Author of several books including  Etiquette For Every Occasion. Wedding Speeches & Toasts. How to be the Best Man. Quick Quotations. Who Said What When.

Blogs travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.com

dressofthedayangela.blogspot.com

translateforfun.blogspot.com

Braddell Heights Advanced Toastmasters Speakers Club Vice President Public Relations (VPPR), Previous President

Join BHA 1st Wednesday 7pm and 3rd Saturday 2 pm Singapore time 

Vice President Public Relations (VP PR) of Tampines Changkat Advanced;

Secretary of weekly online Singapore International Dynamic Toastmasters Speakers’ Club;

Member and past president of Harrovians toastmasters club, UK; Past member of HOD Toastmasters, London. Past member in Singapore of: Toastmasters Club of Singapore (TCS); Tiarel; and Senja Cashew.

More details from Toastmasters International find a club.

Regular attendee at annual Swanwick Writers’ School, England.

Regular attendee at annual Writers’ Holiday, Wales.

Contributor to poetry readings, and after tea courses on: Speaking On Radio To Promote Books; and Plots And Character.

Winner of many club and area speaking contests in the UK and Singapore.

Language advisor to Empire Toastmasters club in Indonesia.

Language and speech workshops in Singapore.

Speaker on radio and TV in England, Scotland, the USA, and Australia.

Compiler of a school course on public speaking for teachers to prepare pupils for school open days with attending ceremonies before government ministers, Singapore.

Former member of Harrow Writers’ Circle, London, and two writing groups in Singapore.

Angela is on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter. She would be delighted to link up with new friends.

 Please share links to your favourite posts.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.