Outlandish hats - the umbrella hat - good or bad?

 


I found that I do too much nodding and shaking of my head and the umbrella hat falls off. 

One gust of wind, and you are chasing after it. In theory you can carry it around in a bag or pocket, for an unexpected or expected rainfall later in the day. It is small to pack, lighter that a full size regular umbrella.

Then I put it away and lost it. It is probably hiding at the bottom of the umbrella stand. 

I usually need a much bigger umbrella because I am carrying a bag containing my diary, papers and books. So I need more protection. You cannot wear a golf umbrella on your head.

However, like me, you might feel, try anything once.

Cycling
My husband bought the tiny variety to stick on his phone when cycling. He needed the phone on a regular motorcycle to signal and you go through the gantry of the road toll system which operated before Covid. 

Then he progressed to a mountain bike, mostly for exercise and fresh air. 

Gardening

As for gardening, who goes out in the rain? When it is raining, the ground is muddy. You come indoors. 

Story
Years agao my late father was out in the garden when it started to rain. My mother looked out to see where he was. He was sheltering under a tree. She shouted to him to come indoors. My father is deaf. So she took two large umbrellas, one ofr herself, and one to hand to him.

Afterwards, she asked why he did not come indoors. He replied, "I thought it would blow over after a couple of minutes."
Years later, after my mother died and I had nobody to back up my version of the story, he claimed he had no recollection that it every happened.

Would he have worn an umbrella hat? No. It was hard to get him to carry a conventional umbrella. Never mind an umbrella hat.

Wiki enthuses:
Umbrella Hats are particularly useful to wheelchair users who need the use of both hands in the rain. It is also useful for gardeners, cyclists, walkers, shoppers, hunters, fishers, political canvassers and general manual labourers.

Useful Websites

https://shopee.sg/READY-STOCK-Large-Sun-Protection-Umbrella-Hat-Fishing-Umbrella-Hat-Umbrella-Head-Mounted-Sunshade-Overhead-Fishing-Tea-Picking-Farming-Overhead-Umbrella

The Author

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.