Red and blue DIY dress 365. How to add a red ribbon belt and red bow.
Angela Lansbury in red and blue DIY dress, with red ribbon belt and red ribbon bow. Photo by Trevor Sharot.
The dress came from a wide skirt. I cut off the belt and was left with an oblong large enough and long enough for a dress. Blue suits my complexion and goes with my blue eyes. I love the red. I added a wide red ribbon belt, and a narrower red ribbon tied in a bow at the neck.
I thought of having both the neck bow and the belt the same width of ribbon. Would that look more co-ordinated?
However, I was not sure that I had enough of either width.
A wider ribbon looks better as a belt. A smaller bow is less distracting from your face. With enough ribbon, I could leave the ribbons attached to the outfit.
Storing Ribbons and Belts
At first I had ribbons stored in boxes on my sewing table. Then I decided that the wide black ribbon used as a belt was frequently needed. It could be found more quickly if I placed it on the rack with my belts on the wall behind the bedroom door.
Belt Ribbon
The belt ribbon is likely to slip down, hang sideways, fall off when you are travelling and get dirty from the ground or get lost. You need a smaller ribbon to make two small loops on both sides of your waist. You can tie a tiny ribbon around one of the loops to be sure the ribbon belt never falls off. A narrower belt is easier to tie. Or stitch it down.
You could have three loops, one either side of the waist and one centre back. Or four loops. Look at the loops on dresses, skirts, and jeans and shorts.
Alternatively, fix it by sewing the centre of the belt in the centre of the back of the dress. It can be then left undone in the day to be cooler and freer. If it is sewn at the back it does not hang untidily like the two belts undone at the side. Tie it up when you stand up and see visitors, or for a photo, for meals, or to go out.

Comments
Post a Comment