Cyprus map hat - the most useful hat. Post 408
Angela Lansbury wearing a Cyprus map hat (in Bonanza restaurant, Cyprus). Photo by Trevor Sharot.
This map hat proved incredibly useful. As we drove around Cyprus for a two week holiday, I was often in the front passenger seat in a good position to read the signposts. Left or right? The voice from the Satnav would say third exit. The driver had a hard enough time working out which exit was counted and which was merely the entrance to a garage (patrol or gas station), or house.I was muddled by reading the lookalike names in Greek. I could identify the letter L, like an upside down V. But when we came to a T-junction, or roundabout, my reaction was not accurate enough or quick enough for me to guide the driver or confirm the direction the driver wanted to take.Saved By A simple MapI was having trouble remembering whether we were going to the city which started with L, Larnaka, on the East coast, or the other one starting with L, Lemassos, which was inland, and known as Nicosia, or Limasol, on the South coast. Especially as I was reading the name in Greek first and then English below in smaller lettering in brackets. By taking off my hat and holding in my hand on my lap I could quickly see that we were driving clockwise around the coast from Larnaka (which is the main airport) via Limassol in the south, to Paphos on the west where we had arrived, for the secondary and smaller airport.
Buying the map hat
The map hat cost just under five Euros. That seemed a sensible price to me. I bought it in Nicosia in Ledra street, the main street, in a hurry. I spotted it on the rack and dashed inside, telling my husband, 'I'll only be a moment checking the price.'
In Nicosia, to make a purchase, first, you need to find the shopkeeper. In Cyprus they tend to be invisible. In Singapore and Melbourne, Australia, when the shop is family owned or the assistant is on commission they are right after you trying to sell, make you buy now, buy a dearer item, buy two.
However, in Cyprus, in the heat, the shop assistant is often sitting in the shade on the other side of the road. Whether you are parking your car, and looking for the person to pay, or hoping for a shop assistant, nobody is visible. You need to hold the item in your hand, walk to the edge of the shop, as if you might take off without paying, before somebody levers themselves out of their seat, or stops. Even then, how do you know whether you are speaking to? They could be another tourist, a local passer-by, a pickpocket, a chancer, the owner of the next door shop.
If they don't speak much English, I ask, 'Is this your shop?'
'Not my shop. My boss shop.'
'You take money?'
'Yes.'
Maybe they hold out their hand.
Am I paying the shop owner, getting a receipt and a bag?
What if I am accosted by the shop owner a minute later and accused of theft, when I have given a coin or two to a passing beggar!
If they walk inside the shop, I can follow.
Confirm the price.
On my hat buying exercise, hearing the price, under five dollars, not dollars, Euros, I knew I wanted to buy, quickly.
I only had to decide the colour. White would get dirty. Black was ideal. That colour would go with any outfit.
My next task was to fish out of my pocket a five euro note.
I asked for a receipt in the hope that I would then have a record of the shop name. It says Fanos toys and souvenirs. 65 Ledras street, Nicosia. Tel 22 67 42 30
If I have the name, I can go back to buy another. Tell a friend where to buy the hat. Recommend the shop on my blog.

Comments
Post a Comment