Dress 426 Why Buy A Blue Eyelet Dress? (Broderie Anglaise)

A blue eyelet dress for a blue eyed girl. Dress of the Day 426. Selfie photo by Angela Lansbury.


Eyelet Dress In Blue

I bought this blue eyelet dress from eBay. Eyelet used to be known as broderie anglaise. The new anglicized name, eyelet, is snappier, one word instead of two, two syllables instead of five, quicker to say and quicker to type. It also sounds more modern. Does not require understanding, spelling or pronunciation of French. Broderie is French for embroidery. I cannot explain why the English are given credit for this design. 

Searching

The only drawback is that when you search for eyelet online, you are offered lace up shoes and heavy curtains which hand on poles from large eyelet holes. If you search for matching sets, you are sent outfits for toddlers. However, this year, 2002, when you finally find one item, by adding dress or skirt, the search engines then inundate you with other offers.

The navy blue neck is V-neck. I felt cold. So I added a vest in black which had a round neck.



Brand Lovedrobe

Cost

Dress Length

I wanted a full length dress. Why? Fast to put on, rather than a skirt and top. No delay looking for something matching each half, a matching pair. Cheaper to buy one garment than two pieces.

The Hem

The hem of this garment from an unknown seller on ebay seems slightly frayed. I wondered whether it frayed from wearing. If it was new, did the fraying result from loose edging stitching around the fraying precut scallops. However, I looked at another garment (Nuteg from Morrisons) and found something interesting. I saw a bit of extra fabric hanging. 

I decided that the sewing is done in semicircles of stitches. Then the cutter probably used scissors or a cutter wheel to cut off the surrounding fabric.

Blue Colour

The garment's blue is darker than it appeared on my screen. Closer to dull navy than a vivid royal blue. However, the colour seems to enhance my blue eyes. 

Add Red

How could I offset the dark effect? I added some colour at the neck. 

First I tried a white collar. But the navy and white effect was dull, boring.

So I went for my usual warm colour red. Something red at the neck would be easy to match up with other accessories. I have a red belt. I have red sandals. 

I have a red baseball cap with a double fold in the brim, UPF50+ from label Gadiem Kenso. Symbol G. 

The label says it sells to the USA GB DE CA JP FR AU CN IT ES. (Those letters stand for the USA, Great Britain, Germany, Canada, Japan, France, Australia, Italy, Spain.

Red Collar

I was looking for a red necklace. Then I spotted this red neck warmer or collar. I added the red Patra collar. 95% silk, 5% elastane. Do not bleach.

Red headpiece

Finally, I found a red titfer, hat. The one I wore to our son's wedding. From Marks & Spencer. At the time it seemed a lot of money for something so small, but I have worn it many times for many photos with many outfits.

Red Cosmetics

Of course, red lipstick. And red rouge. The rouge is the lipstick. You have to spread it carefully to get even colour. I suppose using a brush instead of a fingertip would be more effective. More wasteful - or less wasteful?

Dress Size

The UK size is 18. According to the label, that is Eu 46 and US 14.

Fabric

100 % polyester. Lining 100% polyester. Made in China.

Washing Instructions

Do not bleach. Do not tumble dry. Iron on the reverse. 

Style

The hem is scalloped. To see the curves, you need white underneath. So I am wearing a white half slip, in cotton, with frill, attached with a thin lace braid, ending in a pretty, feminine, wide lace edge.

Lining

The dress has a same colour blue lining. The eyelet pattern would be more noticeable if I removed the lining and replaced it by a white slip, attached or separate. No label.

Useful Websites

For a folding brim hat, from Amazon about 9 pounds sterling (8.99 and I get free delivery having paid for prime for a year). If you have a business requiring quick delivery, eg a landlord, you might think this is a a tax claimable, and if not, a worthwhile investment for your satisfaction or a customer's satisfaction.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GADIEMENSS-Lightweight-Breathable-Outdoor-Running/dp/B071NBD485/ref=asc_df_B071NBD485/?tag=googshopuk-

For a neck warmer

www.patra.com

An M & S night dress in dark blue or white has the eyelet sleeves, short sleeves, and is long. Fifteen pounds in June 2022.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/broderie-trim-long-nightdress/p/clp60517240?prevPage=srp

To match it, there's a navy broderie wrap. When they say wrap they don't mean a wrap around scarf but a tie around dressing gown, a bit like a kimono.

You can also buy broderie petticoats.

This video shows you how to use water or starch applied by a paintbrush and then a light press to keep the threads together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_gmLFFFfaQ

https://www.worlddata.info/countrycodes.php

Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A