Blue Eyelet Top Bought In a Bundle 428. How To Make DIY Belt Loops From Ribbon. 428b


Buying Bundles
I bought the yellow eyelet top  (in the previous post) on eBay as part of a bundle of three tops. A bundle is a group of items from the same seller. Not the same as a matching set which has the same colours and fabrics. 

The other items included a blue Peaclocks label, also size 16, which was the key item which made me buy.  The blue top has eyelets all over, which show at the neck, but no fancy hem. 

The third top included in the bundle is a white - I already have white tops. A bonus. Not needed. But a bonus. The white is by George and has a plain neck - but a fancy hem which would show when I am standing, or walking, when worn over and against a darker coloured skirt.   


Size 16
Size sixteen is large. Large sizes are loose on me. 

Why wear a belt?
The belt is not holding the garment up (as on trousers and skirts). A belt on a dress or top can draw in the waist. I have to wear a belt to bring in the waist and look slimmer. The slimline look makes me look more efficient, less like a smock-wearing bohemian. 

Black or Red Belt?
Should I wear black or red? The red is a contrast. Jolly. Matched red shoes. But black is neat, inconspicuous, leaves the oblong vertical effect uninterrupted which makes me look taller. 

Fastening a belt
This week I was looking at my red belt. It had no loop to fasten the hanging end. If you made a belt from matching fabric, you might cut it to hand just outside the buckle, with interfacing to make it stiff, or even an added fabric rose or triangular end to make it neat. But it is good to have a long belt so that you allow for putting on weight, lending it to somebody else, giving it away or selling it, or simple hiding the end behind your back. But a stiff end hanging down is annoying even if it is invisible. 

Red belt, fastened at the back with a vertical DIY ribbon bow. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

DIY ribbon loop
I looked at the red ribbon on the table on my sewing box and thought, 'I ought to sew a loop'. 
Red belt tied with ribbon. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


I tied it around in a bow to see how long it needed to be. Then I thought, 'I don't have the time and energy to sew it. Why not just tie it in a bow?' The ribbon has to be either shiny satin or matt, to match the fabric of the belt. 

Now I have the solution for all those belts which have no loops.

American and British English Glossary
trousers (UK) - pants (USA)
Pants/knickers/panties (UK) - underpants/panties (USA)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.