How to Restore an old Belt - Jacques Vert Leather belt with a big, bold buckle. Outfit 444.


The restored pink belt with the bold buckle. Photo by Angela Lansbury



The pink Jacques Vert belt before restoration. Photo by Angela Lansbury. 

The Caftan Needs A Belt

I put on a caftan. It was too loose. Untidy. Firstly, it needed to be pulled in at the waist.

Secondly, the caftan was too long. In danger of tripping me up. Looks like I am in a harem. Might get dirty around the hem from dragging on the ground.

I thought: 'Why not cut if off and use the strip to make a hair band or belt?' Hm.

I decided that I won't cut if off because sometimes I want a longer dress. The hem can hide socks or non matching shoes or sandals. The longer length might protect me from insects landing on my legs, ankles, feet. I can wrap it round my ankles to give me physical or psychological protection.

I admit that it's a pity not to cut off the hem because my reluctance means I lose the opportunity to have a matching belt. But it's quicker just to find an existing belt.

I wondered, 'Do I have a belt in the right colour?" Yes. I did.

A Jacques vert belt. On the back it said it was leather. I raised my eyebrows.

Leather should be quality, endurable. Not like plastic, which cracks. However, my Jacques vert belt in pretty pink with the beautiful buckle was in a sorry state. 1 White threads hung from the edges. 2 Black marks spoiled the surface. 3 White interfacing (lining) showed through the rubbed-off pink, which was worn away by the buckle's pressure. 

First, I cut off the white threads with scissors. Maybe after a wearing or two they will re-appear. If so, I shall cut them off again. It only takes a minute. That changes a shabby belt into a smart one.

Can anybody else see or notice? I don't know. But I can see the threads and it annoys me. There done, job done! First success.


Scissors snip threads off belt. Photo by Angela Lansbury.


Watercolour pencil in the same colour as the belt to hide the white. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Now the black marks and white on pink. What do I need? Pink paint. Nail varnish? No. That would shine and crack and if it doesn't work it is hard to remove. Nail varnish might work over enamel. But on fabric or leather - how about paint? 

I have watercolour pencils. I have a pink pencil!

The watercolour pencil needs to be dipped in water. I run it under the tap. Then use a puddle of water around the tap.

At first I kept running from the desk back to the tap. Then I decided to take the belt to the sink to complete the colouring quicker.

It worked! Maybe not so good close up. However, at a distance it makes all the difference.

You don't need an exact match. You just need to get rid of the glaring white silhouetted against the colour.


Pink restored Jacques Vert belt. Selfie photo by Angela Lansbury.

You can buy watercolour pencils in sets from art and craft shops and online.

Useful Websites

Belts

About five ninety five (that is nearly six pounds) British sterling pounds, plus postage from Etsy. More belts on Amazon, eBat and Shein.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/802842863/60mm-wide-womens-stretchable-elastic?click_key=18b2b106d3aec0d55d31ef47c7eac642e5ed54ef%3A802842863&click_sum=64f9dc9d&rec_type=ss&ref=pla_similar_listing_top-1&frs=1

Jacques Vert (Most of the dresses in July 2022 come with matching fabric tie belts which means you won't have the problem of peeling belts.)

jacquesvertdressuk.com

Watercolour pencils

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tallon-Watercolour-Pencils-Pack-12

If you want black and white and lots of colours, go for a larger set. I buy the smaller sets to carry around. Sometimes you can buy them at reduced prices, or in packs including a pencil sharpener or a paintbrush. Craft shops sell individual colours. 

For about 26 pounds, a huge number of pencils - are they really that number, or two of the same colour. that doesn't matter as I could have some in one country, the other half in another country.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Watercolour-Coloured-Colouring-Techniques/dp/B075FSRVJV/ref=psdc_213646031_t3_B08Y6CBL97

https://cottontwist.co.uk/products/personalised-jumbo-watercolour-pencils-tin?variant=39326858772545&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLagWBzNkUti31MuvujseDFLXV_yup5Yf3Np7AYAxEWrLn0RQ07bqA-BoCVJsQAvD_BwE

https://shop.nationaltrust.org.uk/water-colour-pencils.html

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-watercolour-pencils-12-pack/p/0503322?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLaoJTz11HFuOlgL7FkEIR58B10nDQiohCbDZ-IwWxVw_NqWhQHOIJlhoCWoEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Please share links to your favourite posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.