Laundry & Laundry Bags, Hanging Bags, Coloured Bags, Post 458

 


Laundry bag from China. Photo by Angela Lansbury.

Laundry Bag Styles
I am looking for a laundry bag, a hanging laundry bag. I don't have room for anything freestanding. I already have two which need replacing.
 
The Basic Bag
The dark, navy blue one came from IKEA. A dark colour doesn't show the dirt. In fact, the reverse, the blue has worn off revealing the white cloth. I could dye the bag, or conceal the pale patches with felt tip pen in navy.

The bag was hanging from an almost oblong frame. How could I upgrade it temporarily? I had lots of leftover table napkins and antimacassars from my late parents, my uncle, the old lady from whom I bought a flat. A blue item could hang over the patch so the room looked good at a quick glance.

Wording - Instructions
Some bags just have the word laundry. Our bag had the message, 
1 Fill bag. 
2 Give to Mum.

At the time, we thought that was a joke. After all, the owner of the laundry should be doing their own washing. Especially as the bag was for an adult who had left mum's home long ago.

Now, it seems that might be a serious message. Perhaps the bag was for a child, or teenager. The first part of the message was important, even for a teenager, especially for a student. It meant, don't throw your dirty clothes on the floor. Put them all in this bag. Don't let them fester. Pass the bag to Mum to get the washing done.

Sophisticated Fabric Hanging Bag
The other laundry bag looks more sophisticated. When it was new, it looked very elegant. And subtle. A cream linen with a darker brown binding strip. On a brown plastic support. With two smart country-style wooden poles.

Now the fabric has frayed. The wood needs renovating. The plastic looks old and scratched and tired.

My friend Lynda has  a lovely bag, clean white fabric with a blue edge. I have been looking for something similar online. I can't find it. I will let you know when I do.

I saw something similar with a red edge at a reasonable price and ordered it.

I ordered red . But I got yellow. 


Plastic
Not only that, it felt like plastic. It was wipe clean rather than washable. If I wanted plastic, I could use the plastic laundry bag from a hotel. On Shein I noticed a polyester item described as non-woven fabric.

I wrote to the supplier, who had favourable reviews for their many other products. They asked for a photo. I wondered whether they were not the manufacturer but simply an online shopfront whose staff never saw the goods they were selling. I sent a photo. I had pointed out that it was not worth my while returning the item, because the cost of postage from the UK to China would be more than the credit I would get for the article.  They suggested I should keep the article and they would refund me half the money. That seemed to me a reasonable compromise. They had lost the item. I would have to buy another, but had half the money towards it.

Colour Sorting
The laundry bags I like are the ones which divide your laundry into colours. So instead of sorting at the last minute, or risking getting colours in whites, or not knowing if you have enough for a wash, you can keep adding items one by one until you have a full load of either white or colours.
Three colour bag from ebay for a penny under sixteen pounds.

However, my husband does not like the bulk of the triple containers. He is a minimalist.

Wicker boxes

We already have a large round wicker bag. The problem is, you can't see if it is full, So it tends to gather garments which get forgotten until it goes smelly or rotten.
I have saved some pictures from websites to my Pinterest accounts. I have one called dress of the day, another called Household.

Returns?
Dunelm
Dunelm say that if you don't like a product you can return it for free.

Etsy
Lots of pretty bags turn out to be peg bags.
If you are willing to pay 33 pounds sterling, one on Etsy comes in 17 colours to match your bathroom decor.
For about thirteen pounds, a choice of five colours, for a bag with handles, convenient to carry from bedroom to washing machine.



Useful Websites
amazon
dunelm
ebay

etsy



ikea

shein

See my previous post on this hanging laundry bag, post 455.

Please share links to your favourite posts

Update
The supplier sent me the partial refund. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A