Red Eyelet Dress, caught my eye. Dress of the day 443




Red eyelet dress 443. Selfie by Angela. Photo taken on a timer. The mobile phone was propped up on a work surface.


I found this dress on eBay when I was searching for eyelet dresses. I prefer the old term, broderie anglaise, but eyelet is quicker to type.  I looked for red. I have white broderie anglaise already. My friend in Singapore wore a red broderie anglaise, then a blue one and I thought the fabric looked terrific on her. I love the colour red.


Red, red, red!

I was happily wearing a red dress at a toastmaster International lunchtime meeting at a business in Singapore. I thought I looked just right. The president of the club sidled up to me. With a sly smile, he asked, 'May I ask you a personal question?'

I went hot and cold all over. What was he going to ask! 

What had I done wrong? Did I smell funny? Was I showing my slip, or bra strap, or visible panty line? Were my shoes down at heel? Did I have a stain on my dress? Was my hair fly-away, badly cut? Did I stand round-shouldered? Was my bag too big? Were my sandals too casual for the office? Should I have worn a collar? Or tights, instead of socks? A bra with more uplift?

After a moment's hesitation, I replied, 'You can ask, but I can't guarantee to reply. What's your question?'

He grinned and whispered, "Do you like the colour red!"

I burst out laughing. I was so relieved.

I whispered back. "Yes. I do. Very much. But don't tell anybody."


Yes, my dears. I love this colourful dress. The red makes me feel awake and happy. It makes me smile. It makes me want to shout, 'Party!' 

I must admit that an all-red dress can be overwhelming. But the clean white embroidery relieves the shocking red. 

Design

The design is just right, with a wavy pattern at the neck. The frill creates neck interest, ideal for meetings on Zoom. 

Size 12 but sleeveless. 

The Birth of The Dress

My dress was made in India. But bought on eBay, sold from a seller in England. 

The dress arrived by postal delivery. I didn't even walk round the corner to the shops. I sat at my desk at home and ordered. 

My dress has travelled more than I have this year!

What's Next?

The brand is Next, which was created to hold onto customers who had outgrown what I think of as 'Junior Miss', styles for late teens and early twenties. Next is clothes you need in your next decade. Not so sexy, not so 'look at me I'm single', but aimed at the clothes shopper with the mindset of 'now I am married with a child I still want to look attractive but not so sexy that I look like a floozy'. Not so classic that it looks boring and frumpy. Until I read the marketing I had no idea what Next was supposed to imply or what the marketing department wanted to attract. A bit obscure for me. 

However, a plus point about the label Next is that a four letter word is fast to type. After that distracting series of thoughts, as I read the label, I check the size.

The size is 12. A British 12.  

 The cut is straight up and down, tunic style. How do you get it on?

Neck Opening And Button

The neck has a short vertical opening at the back, which fastens at the top of back of the neck with a cute, small white pearl button.

The button is not the shirt button size but smaller. In case you lose the tiny button which fits, a spare button is on the washing label on the lower hem. 

 The button has two holes. They have not sewn it on with white cotton. The red cotton created a horizontal red line from contrasting red cotton. 

The edge of the Next label on the back of the neck has been heat sealed, so it's slightly scratchy.

Useful Websites

eBay

Next

Red

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pearl brooches on hat paired with M & S sweater with pearls. Dress Post 686 by Angela Lansbury

Stripey Red & White Socks, thigh high, and tights - outfit 679 by Angela Lansbury

Inspection of Collection, M & S Dress poem Plus PACKING LIST, Post 739 by Angela Lansbury.