How To Re-Use Baby Clothes Sets, post 469
You can convert adult's clothes into children's clothes, and turn baby clothes into adult clothes.
Cutting Down Adult Clothes
When I was a child, my mother would cut up old, thinning and torn white sheets. All sheets were white.
She had learned to re-use everything in World War 2. The war ended in 1945, but rationing in England, in the UK, went on until 1952.
Keep For The Family
Baby clothes sets can be kept, labelled, listed, in case you have another child.
Donation To Charity
Or give them to charity. Some charities collect only perfect condition items. However, the most needy might accept a stained or torn item. For example, when I was clearing out the spare room cupboard for my French au pair girl, Caroline, in the 1980s, I said, "This baby outfit must be thrown away - it's stained."
She asked, "May I keep it? Our French church goes to Poland every summer. We take baby clothes to be given to poor and unmarried mothers, who have nothing. Baby clothes are only used briefly. These mothers have nothing, no money to buy new. They are really grateful. They can sew up tears, or sew patches over the stains. If our charity group is delayed for hours at the border, which often happens, I can fill in time by doing the same."
Of course, I gave her that outfit, and a few others.
Recycling
Now the charity shops in the UK only take new or good as new items.
However, there are shops which take in goods in any condition in bulk for recycling. You are paid by volume or weight.
Jumble Sales
In the good old days, all the churches would have regular jumble sales. The boy scouts, or children, accompanied by supervising adults, would go from house to house collecting. (A leaflet about the jumble sale requesting donations and listing collection days would be put through local letter boxes.)
My eBay Baby Clothes Set
However, what if you want to sell, or buy, baby clothes on eBay? One of the good things about modern baby clothes is that they are sold in sets, a dress or romper suit with a matching hat.
I was looking for a broderie anglaise hat or cap on eBay. Up popped a baby's outfit. It was already too small for my grandchild. But maybe the hat would still fit. But would the hat fit me?
Today the outsit arrived. I could not be more delighted.
Baby dress set from eBay.Value
Delighted. Great value. Four pieces!
Baby clothes waistband, worn as hairband, Photo by Angela Lansbury. copyright.Colour
Clean white, better than yellow picture. Grey edging goes with everything.
Sizing
The baby hat fits me, an adult. Cute. Admittedly, it does not come down to my chin, but the base is above my ear. But it serves the purpose of concealing uncombed hair or undyed hair roots. The straps are long enough to tie under the chin. I tried them at the back behind my neck, but that did not look right.
Multi-purpose Re-Use
The dress could fit a child, doll, or soft toy - later be cut for a dickey.
Useful Websites
Please bookmark and share links to your favourite posts with your friends.




Comments
Post a Comment