Traditional Union Jack Chair Contrasted With A Jolly Yellow Caftan, dress 491, travelling outfit

 

Union Jack chair at Heathrow airport. Angela is wearing a yellow caftan. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

A chair in flag colours. What a great idea. And a great photo opportunity. the bright red, white and blue enhances my bright colours, the yellow caftan, red sandals, and the neat straw hat.

You can make yourself a caftan. They use a lot of fabric but are easy to make. See my previous post 448 on how to copy a caftan. This quick-wash caftan was added at the last minute to protect my other outfit worn underneath. I am wearing a pink broderie anglaise top. I was travelling light, with a carry on bag checked in. If my luggage went missing, I would still have two outfits. 

I thought my outfit was rather a melange of colours and fabrics and styles. However, two people complimented me on my bright, colourful outfit. Admittedly one was in the perfume area, probably hoping to sell me perfume.

Bright yellow keeps me awake and lively when travelling. If my husband loses me, he can ask if anybody has seen a woman in a bright yellow dress.

In addition to the yellow background, the caftan has magenta, blue in two shades, and green. 

The Straw Hat With Black Headband
I like to wear a brim to protect my eyes from sunlight and glare. I wore the straw hat because it is summery, suitable for the tropics, more feminine and less casual than a baseball cap. 

The black headband goes with the practical black cape blazer.

Black Cape Blazer
The black is practical against getting dirty or stained when travelling. And eating airline meals. The colours could be a bit overwhelming. The black hat and cape cover up the colours and keep them down.

Union Jack Colours
In theory, I could make a point of wearing red, white and blue, every time I pass through Heathrow, which is one to three times a year. Then look for the red, white and blue chair, or another point with a union Jack. However, I might disappear into the chair! 

Yellow Dresses For You
I looked online to see what you, and I, could find in  yellow dresses or caftans. I found one plain yellow dress with puff sleeves and several multi colour dresses with a yellow base in caftans or tunic shape. All cost around thirty dollars. But some of them cost as much as twenty more to send outside the USA or country of origin to another continent.  

Caftans Advantages
Caftans are better for travelling because they don't constrict you. No waist seams to pull apart. When you hang it up to drip-dry, the flat straight-edged shape can be pulled along the edges to be crease free.

Useful Websites
Caftans from New York from Oussum, a company I found on ebay. I have several of their patterned caftans saved to my Angela Lansbury dress of the day on Pinterest. Each caftan would cost about about 13.99 US dollars.

Economising On Shipping Costs
Shipping from the Oussum company in the USA to the UK is about 12.99 standard, about US$17.99 expedited. Set your home address to another country if visiting family to get your dress sent there to await your arrival, if that is cheaper postage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291

271 hooded jacket with inside pocket from label Canda C & A