How to make a belt quickly to pull a loose dress into a form fitting dress 502
How To Make A belt
All you need is a piece of ribbon in one of the colours in your dress. Alternatively, match the accessories such as the shoes and matching bag, or slip.
I looked at another dress I had with a belt consisting of two halves from either side of the waist to tie at the back. The belt was made from two seamed pieces of fabric of the same material as the dress. I did not have spare fabric and did not want to cut off the hem.
I looked at my rolls of red ribbon. The only piece long enough was very narrow. I presume it was the sort sold for tying parcels at Christmas. It had a gold edge.
The advantage of narrow ribbon is that you would only need half a dozen stitches to sew it on. I folded the ends back and sewed it on horizontally, pointing towards the back.
We were rushing out to lunch. I did not have time to sew on the second half. What could I do?
I found a sewing kit, needle, white cotton and a thin paper pocket marked sewing kit. I and put it in a protective tiny envelope so the needle did not injure me. I popped my DIY sewing kit into my handbag.
Meanwhile, the taxi was on its way and I was wearing a dress with a ribbon on one side, the dress still loose. I decided to pin the end of the ribbon around the back of my waist and pilled to the other saide at waist level.
I meant it to be temporary. However, I forgot about it. The black jacket over my dress meant that nobody noticed.
My outfit:
The Dress
The dress is red. It has a zip up the front. I have tried wearing it with the zip at the back. Maybe it was meant to have the zip at the back? No. The label is always at the back, and the label is the opposite side to the zip. Besides, the dress looks and feels better with the zip at the front.
The label says 100% rayon. Made in Thailand. No brand.
Belt
Spotlight thin red ribbon with gold edge. 1/4 inch x 20 M. Made in Taiwan.
The bra
The bra is from Marks & Spencer. Bought in (London,) UK. Made in Sri Lanka.
Size 38C. Wireless.
The colour is turquoise. My red bra was still wet. I wash every bra overnight after wearing it all day.
Why? One gets hot and sticky in the tropics. Even though I try to wash at home every time I go to the bathroom (wash room or rest room) and wash my hands. But this is not possible when you are out for lunch or dinner and in public places.
I often find that my jacket slips sideways or my dress slips sideways, showing my bra strap This is because i have a broken collar bone from a road traffic accident. (RTA for short.)
This problem is not unique to me. You can buy bra strap holders.
I could fasten the straps under the shoulders of the dress with safety pins. However, the neck is quite small (made possible by the zipped vertical opening at the front). So the difference in colour was not a problem.
Black Half Slip
Marks & Spencer.
Black Backless Shoes
The shoe brand is Fashion. They are made in China. The size is 39.
They have heels, block heels. Three inches of seven centimetres high. No strap at the back or around the front to keep them on. I don't feel very safe in them. I normally wear flat shoes.
I am wearing white nail varnish on my toe nails. Red or black nail varnish would also have matched the shoes.
Reversible Red hat
The other side is the same pattern in blue. I tried folding the blue to turn hide it and turn the hat into a cloche of baseball hat. This did not work. It sprang open and looked silly.
The White Pendant
I love this pendant. It is white which is summery and goes with lots of outfits. I don't have matching ear-rings, but I keep all my white jewellery together so I can pull out a white pendant and white ear-rings.
Spiral mother of pearl with two small holes drilled in a circular mother of pearl frame. The two pieces of mother of pearl are obviously glued together, as I discovered just now upon inspecting the back of it.
The chain consists of five strings of tiny white beads. I think they are called seed beads.
Two small loops of the same beads are threaded through the two small holes in the top of the pendant to hold the chain. The chain is too tight to go over my head and must be opened.
The ends of the chain are fastened by making a figure of eight at one end. The other end has a small two hole button. A single white bead on top is hiding each hole.
White Nail Varnish
White nail varnish is this season's discovery. I first bought white nail varnish from Tesco supermarket. The small branch had only two or three colours. Red and orange varnish were not available. Buying white proved a happy event.
White proved very versatile. White goes with everything.
Reds, oranges and pinks are a nuisance if you like to wear a different colour dress every day. I don't like to keep removing nail varnish because I think it is bad for my nails. As well as being a waste of my time. And a waste of nail varnish.
Now I love the white nail varnish.
The white from Tesco was thick and blobby. By the time I had painted ten finger nails and ten toe nails the varnish in the small bottle was thick. I bought a second bottle and the same thing happened.
I tried a more expensive and even smaller white nail varnish from a small, local, family-owned chemist, Tanna's. Mavala brand. The white was very pale, almost transparent. Even when I applied two layers, it simply created a shine. However, just enough to make my nails look finished.A slight glow in the dark when you move your hands.
The Red Fan
The fan is red is a classic folding fan with overlapping wooden spokes. The fabric arch is in lucky Chinese red. The red colour goes with many outfits.
Useful Websites
https://www.marksandspencer.com/sg/her-majesty-the-queen/
https://www.marksandspencer.com/
Please share links to your favourite posts.

Comments
Post a Comment