Chinese jacket with gold embroidery for a Japanese birthday dinner, and gold buttons. Dress of the night Number 346

 

Angela Lansbury wearing a Chinese jacket with gold embroidery. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

The Chinese Jacket
I looked at the jacket. I told my husband: 'No washing instructions.When it gets dirty, you buy another one.'
He replies, You wash it, cold water and gentle soap or mild detergent. I don't suppose it will come to any harm.'
It looks to me like the colour might run. I would try a corner in cold water first.

If I love a garment and it is good value, or I can bargain for a reduced price for two, I buy two different colours. If that two colours option is not available, I buy the same colour in two different sizes.

The seams are inconspicuously sewn, inside out, so that you can wear the jacket inside out. But then you would lose the colourful and dramatic embroidery. Why would you wear it inside out?

Either to protect the outside from getting stained and dirty when travelling and eating.
Or to be inconspicuous. Less likely to get robbed. Blend in. 

I bought the jacket in Singapore. The brand, the label, is Roses. 

It is long. Unusual length for this style. 

Long Jackets
Most jackets this style are waist length.

I like long jackets. They look elegant on me. I am short. I think they make me look taller. Shorter jackets create a double dice effect. 

White Blouse 
Label TRU. I looked for TRU blouses online. You can find a few in assorted styles on Ebay. But nothing is pretty as mine. If you want lots of white lace blouses, that is what to search for. I found a couple of them on Shein. Up popped white collars on Ebay.

The blouse is size 42. If you buy a smaller size blouse the collar is likely to fit better. 

The advntage of a larger size is that it might feel more comfortable. around the neck. Less pulling on the seams. More sure that it will be big enough on the upper arms.

The Gold Colour Buttons
I like the domed gold buttons. The thread is hidden underneath in the shank, so if you are not a neat sewer, they are easy to sew on quickly. No need to sew neatly, nor even match the thread colour exactly to the blouse of button to be inconspicuous.
 
You might buy a whole set if you are buying a set of buttons to enhance the look of a blouse. More evening-y. 

Five buttons are down front of the blouse, two more on each cuff, which makes nine, plus one spare button, total 10.

The blouse label says it is made in West Germany.

The Collar
Long v shape collar, sewn with darsewn back horizontally, with a diagonal fold so the points hang downwards. 

Wide arm holes.
Shoulder pads have nside foam disintegrated.

Vintage
Bought from dress boutique in Hatch End in London, England, the 1980s, if I remember rightly.

Blue SIlk Skirt
The blue silk skirt is lined. The silk is heavy.Two slant front pockets.
Llabel AntsHouse Italy.
100% silk. Made in Hong Kong. Dry clean only.
Size 10.
Slightly creased.
4 waist darts at front four more at the back.
Short nylon zip at the back. Adjacent belt buttons, one facing out, the other inwards.
Long straight kcick slit at the back, central, below the zip.
Matt effect. (A shiny satiny effect would have looked more co-ordinated with the jacket.  However, the matt effect went with the matt cotton effect blouse.

What can you copy? Most easily and cheaply, the gold domed buttons. 

Useful Websites
https://www.totallybuttons.com/15mm-gold-domed-shank-suit-button.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to repair a torn Mark & Spencer slip and make the hem wider, Post 294

Period Pants from Marks & Spencer & More, post 345

What to wear for a funeral? A black funeral coat from Marks & Spencers Outfit 291