Recycle one piece baby outfit into 3 items for wrists, soft toys and puppets. Dress 809 by Angela Lansbury.
I saw a cute white baby one piece outfit. The overall effect was clean white, but with five-point, pale pink stars.
My discovery, my find, was in the baby clothes basket at St Luke's shop in London. The cost was only 50p per item, or three for a pound.
Potential Spare Zip
I don’t have a baby. My grand-daughter is already at school.
But the garment had a long white zip. Do you know the price of zips!
I bought it, intending to cut out and eventually to re-use the zip. When I reached home, Before I could change my mind, I grabbed a pair of scissors.
I planned to cut out the zip. I had a problem. The zip ran most of the way down one of the legs.
Cutting Off Baby Garment Sleeves
To make it easier to handle, I cut off the sleeves. I was left with two small tubes, wider at one end. I rested my arm on the table over one piece. It was the same width as my small wrist. Let's try to see if they fit.
Adult Wrist Covers
To my surprise, they fitted over my wrists. A tight fit. But they might stretch. If not, they could be slit, an inch or two. Tied with ribbon. Add inserts. Or elastic.
They will come in useful next winter to add warmth and extend the length in inches of short-sleeved and three quarter length sleeve blouses or dresses. Adding warmth. This prolongs the seasonal use of mid-season garments into winter.
Because of the pattern, which is paler but still visible when the offcut is turned inside out, I can only use it with plain white blouses.
But I soon found a good use for bootees.
Teddy Bear Bootees
I then turned my attention to the leg portion of the baby garment. The zip extended down one side as far as the ankle. I cut off as close as I could to the end of the zip. I cut the other side to match, although it was possible to cut higher.
Hurray! I now had a little pair of socks or bootees. I don't have a baby needing them. However, I do have dolls and teddies for my grand-daughter. It did not take me long to find a place to park the bootees, clearing them from the potential pile and clutter of offcuts.
If the new bootees are slightly large, tjat wont matter if they are worn by a toy sittîng on a shelf for decoration. If a child is carrying the toy around you might want a secure fastening. Add elastic for removable socks. Or sew them on as a permanent fixture.
Spare Zip
It was now easier to handle what was left of the original garment. I cut out the zip.
Zip Pull Cover
This baby garment had something I have not seen on zips for adult garments. A semi circle of fabric covered the zip pull. That looks neat. Stops the zip pull from snagging other garments, or becoming a distraction which you fiddle with and pull.
So far, three wins: A zip. Wrist covers for warmth in winter. Bootees for a soft toy. What next?
Puppet Coat
Beside my soft toy was a puppet. I parked the leftover sleevelesd coat
Bargain Price Dolls' Clothes
Another thought strikes me. Without going to all this trouble, baby clothes can be used for dolls and soft toys. Cheaper than clothes for dolls! And my grand-daughter loves to play at being mummy or older sister looking after a baby.
Lots of potential for me and you. Recycling old baby clothes. Anything with a stain or tear can still provide other options for recycling and opportunities.
Useful Websites
St Luke's Shops
https://www.stlukes-hospice.org/shops/
Please follow my blogs and share links to your favourite posts.



Comments
Post a Comment